You're not a true audiophile unless...

I can't tell you the number of posts I've seen that start with something like this. Why are some people so anxious to qualify this like it's some sort of title? Being an "audiophile" isn't a concrete or objective thing like the citizenship of the country you were born in or being an MA. It's reflective of your hobby or taste, much like calling yourself a "foodie." Can anyone else chime in with some of the more ridiculous qualifications people have come up with for calling oneself an "audiophile?"

medium_grade

I don't have a million dollars to spend on equipment but I love reading about it.Iv'e alway bought and trade up in equipment, love audio equipment. love music all kinds ect.rap a crapa.Listen to all kinds in different formats. I'm 72 been listening to good equipment since my Sept father would play,Bwy shows,all kinds of music from Classical  to Sinatra.An audiophile  who cares.I'm a music and equipment lover.

I'm not all that offended by the term 'audiophile', for lack of a better label. At the end of it all, we're all guys (and gals) who like good audio equipment to hear the best possible sound we can squeeze out of a musical recording. So if I'm an audiophile, so be it. I'm sure the coffee cup wanted a better name, but at at least everyone's on the same page when you hear the term 'coffee cup'.

I have more than 1M of sound equipment but I don't want to be called an audiophile  because I've come to find out being and "audiophile" means you have to believe in things that are not true. It's more than a hobby it's like a cult. I'm sad to say. 

Like many others, I’ve been listening to music since the early sixties. I had one of those suitcase record players that I traded for a mismatched pair of tube amps. Then I found Halfler kits and there was no going back! I have bought, swapped and sold equipment for almost sixty years and buying music along the way. Having all the equipment in the world is meaningless without the music!