Yamaha NS 1000M left right difference

I have a pair in good shape. I have been listening for them for a few months and enjoyed them very much.
Lately I started feeling the sound is not even between them.

I think the left speaker sounds a bit better more open and clear in mids and highs. It seems like it has slightly higher volume than the other one. It is very subtle but I tested myself for sometime to be sure this is what I hear. I may also be wrong.

They have high and mid L-Pads. The L-Pads are not acting the same. On the left, the one I feel is better, both L-Pads shut the sound (mid or high) when turned all the way left (below -3db). On the right one both do not.

Does anyone has experience with it or knows how it should behave when it's working well?
Any idea how I can test the speakers it to be know if they are acting exactly the same or not?

sbenyo
Swap the left and right speaker just to make sure that your room is not causing some type of anomaly due to the speakers position in the room. This will also insure both of your ears are hearing things the same (or not the same if the anomaly follows the speaker).

BTW, L-pads / potentiometers are notorious for having issues as they age. Have you tried cleaning them?
sbenyo

The Lpads are ceramic wire wound in these and are notorious for surface corrosion to build up on the winding's. I cleaned them all up listen and adjusted them to were I was happy, then measure the L and put 2 x 10w quality resistors in their place of the same resistances that they measured. And the sound was so much better without them in the path of the mids and highs.
I did this on the NS1000M, NS1000X and NS2000 that I owned all sounded better with these L-pads taken out of the signal path and just two resistors in their place.

Cheers George
Thanks for the feedback.

I did try to swap them. I am actually running now the other way from what I am used to and I still feel one sound a clearer than the other.

I don't know how to test the L-Pads or clean them properly.
The NS-1000M has a massive L-Pad and I am not sure I to get good cleaning inside.

It can help if you can explain how is best to clean them.

One thing that is strange to me is the both L-Pads on each speaker behave the same but different between the speakers. It might indicate something else is wrong which is not necessarily the L-Pads.

I still think the first step is to rule out the L-Pads themselves. I can also try to switch L-Pads between speakers even though I first want to try things like cleaning without cutting/connecting wires if possible.

I have a complete set of crossovers, L-Pads and wires from a pair I had a few years ago. Let me know if you have an interest in them. 
Thanks. It's an option. I will first do some checks and try to identify the issue. If it will still be relevant I will contact you.