Yamaha NS 1000M Find

I lucked out and found a pair for $30 yesterday with scratching on the tops, and bottoms of the cabinets, and a dented midrange screen, but otherwise nice. Sounds worse then it is.
I have to really run them through some paces, but I was not that impressed initially.
One question about power rating. I know many speakers rated at 100 WPC can handle more, but with the beryllium tweeters, is it risky to feed them 150 WPC?
I have a pair of Polk SDA's that are some sort of variant on the SDA 2's. Possibly some sort of prototype SDA's. Anyway the Polks can handle anything, and sound great. I am running a Sansui AU 919 with the Polks, and I know that the Yamaha's would be fine with the 919, but I may like to have more power. Thoughts?
laviathon

Showing 4 responses by laviathon

I am finally running them with the Sansui AU 919. They are very nice sounding.
They have to be as heavy as the Polk SDA's.
Thrift Store find. I found out yesterday that the person that donated the 1000's dropped them of on a motorcycle?
I paid $50 for the Sansui AU 919 in January.
Sansui AU 919 - $50
Luxman PD 272 - $15 (Audio Technica AT130E NOS Boxed $1)
Polk SDA Prototypes? - $40
Tannoy System 800's - $10
Sony 222 ES CD Changer - $40 boxed unused
All from my local thrift. The first three where found this year.
I have to say after playing them for a week now that they are superb. Yes, if you are putting out 20 WPC you are shaking the walls.
I just wanted an idea on their input capabilities. The Sansui AU 919 drives them nicely.
I have noticed that the tweeters are quite detailed, and sensitive. I can see if you get carried away you could damage them.
They really are a quality speaker.
I will let others debate market value.