Yamaha A-S3000 - any experiences?

This integrated seems real interesting - have you heard it?

Have you heard it with a turntable as source, using its phono stage?

A concern for me is that they chose 50 ohm for the fixed MC value (usually it's 100 ohms to accommodate most carts) - I have a Shelter Harmony that states 'within 100 ohms'...I wonder how that would affect the sound (I think not much, but...)...anyways, please share if you have any experiences of this amp...MANY thanks and Happy New Year to you all!
go4vinyl

Showing 5 responses by willland

" I would say the biggest weakness of the 2000 is the bass extension."

Can you elaborate a bit on this?  I have found that my A-S1000 has great punch and extension but I am only driving large bookshelf speakers(Klipsch RB-75's) and have not hooked them up to my floorstanders.

Thanks,
Bill
"I have a question for A-s2100/A-s3000 users. When you use the "main direct" input, I know the As3000 volume control is bypassed. Basically, you would hook an outboard preamp and use the Yamaha as a tradition stereo amp. My question is that when you do use the "Main Direct", are the tone controls bypassed as well or are they still functional?"

Below is an excerpt from Yamaha's description of the A-S1000 which I have:

"Note: The volume and tone controls do not effect the amplifiers Main Direct Input or Record Output."  

Being that all the analog A-S integrateds have the same design volume/tone controls, I would say this applies to the 2100 and 3000 also.

From Crutchfield website:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x3kf331Cmoy/p_022AS2100B/Yamaha-A-S2100-Black.html

Bill
"Aberyclark I noticed A4L has the A-S1100 in silver which is similar to the A-S2100 but not a balanced design.  Would love to see a comparison of all three.
"I would too. I'd be curious if the 1100 is basically an "unbalanced" version of the 2100. I highly doubt it since the price difference is quite large."

From my observation, the 1100 is an unbalanced 2100 with 4/18000uf power caps instead of 4/22000uf.  There may be more differences but that is something I am certain of.

Bill

How would smaller caps effect sound? Or is it more of a durability/stability issue

I am sure using marginally smaller caps alone will not affect the sound quality but it will give the 2100 a tad more reserves and stability when called upon.

Bill
Both the 1100 and 2100 have a pretty robust power supply that would easily drive a good percentage of speakers produced.  Something besides those wood side panels is responsible for their 50lbs + of heft and I am betting on the power supply as well as solid build quality.

Bill