Yamaha A-S 1000 & 2000 --- How Good?

These have been well reviewed, but have not seen much from owners. Has some one had a chance to listen to the Yamaha versus gear from Accuphase, Luxman, McIntosh (or smaller integrateds from LFD, Lavardin, etc.) and other top flight integrated SS contenders. I expect it would be a very solid value, especially at street prices for the Yamaha gear, but how does it fair against some if top gear out there? Love the look as an added bonus (yup, in my early 50s). Some say with their R&D prowess that can make a great piece of gear if they set their mind to it - did they do it? (As an additional bit of info - should it matter - my speakers only need 30-40 watts or so, and are very easy loads for amps - tube friendly).
pubul57

Showing 2 responses by sonicbeauty

A friend of mine based on what he heard on my system - tried to buy an AS2000 integrated here from the dealer advertising on A'gon - he was told they were out of silver ones until dec 20th - might as well say 2012 at that rate AND the silver finish goes for a lot more money. This integrated is a winner even at full retail - what a breath of fresh air Yamaha brings to this snobbish high-end feature-sripped integrated market. This amp is packed with technology and features - it is a FUN amp that brings me back to the fun days of hi-fi.

Just a note, the silver finish is the one to get - totally jewel-like with the light wood sides (much better than photos) instead of the more mundane ARR-like black finish.

It is THE machine to get under 3K.
I understand there are some differences under the hood - but mostly, the AS2000 is a touch more refined and transparent. Now it all depends how much of that ''touch'' you feel might make a difference. I could definitely hear the 2000 having an edge over the 1000. It is subjective of course, but I found the 1000 to less involving. Still the 1000 is a very good machine and a good buy nevertheless. I did my auditioning with some very revealing speakers, and the 2000 was my favorite. If you can spring it, the 2000 is the way to go.

The audible differences are less pronounced between the cd players (1000 and 2000) however, as I could not detect anything difference worth mentioning. They are both equally impressive with that silky-smooth transport.