XLR and RCA interconnects in the same system?

Hi
I was wondering if someone could tell me if you have XLR interconnects between your cd player and your preamp and RCA between your preamp and amp does that negate the benefit of the XLR not having balanced inputs on all the components?
Thanks
mxb289
mxb289
My understanding is that the benefit of a balanced connection is a lowering of the noise floor. My guess, subject to correction by an engineer, is that there is some benefit to using a balanced connection between component and preamp, even if the connection from preamp to amp is RCA, since the signal the preamp is receiving is carrying less distortion. I would think that benefit would carry through to the amp. But it's just a guess on my part.
Post removed 
Thanks the only reason I bother is that I have the Cambridge azur 840 CD player and I just got 840 azur preamp the CD player as a balanced out and the pre has a balanced in and I have been told that the 840c really reacts well to balanced cables my amp is a McCormac DNA1 which is great but only has RCA inputs
Thanks Again
mxb289
Hi Mxb, you are a brand new member here,... I researched, and your CD has balanced and unbalanced out. Your Pre has balanced and unbalanced in, also balanced and unbalanced out. Your choice. My PRE (which I like) has only balanced out. My AMPS (which I like) have only unbalanced in. My IC (which I like) (so), I had made up xlr-rca. end of equation. find what works for you.
Hi Liz...you're very wrong. If (and only if) your system is completely balanced from beginning to end, there is a definite advantage.. providing the components are truely differentially balanced. Most components that sport XLR connections are Not balanced and therefore provide no benefit in using balanced interconnects..they are there to impress the purchaser that the circuit is of a higher quality. I am using an all Ayre system which is indeed diferentially balanced...a more expensive circuit having a seperate plus circuit, and a duplicate but phase reversed minus circuit. You can clearly hear that balanced cables sound better than any RCA terminated cable. The sound is quieter, more open, with greater ease.