XA7ES, Miles, Cary 301, ARC CD-1?? Direct to amp..

Hi all!

I know that this topic has been BEATEN to death and I HAVE looked through the archives, but still have questions.

I need a CDP that'll connect directly to my amp. I've seen many recommendations for the Theta Miles...is it really that good?

The Sony XA-7ES seems like a hell of a piece for the money. It also seems that there are many people using it w/o a pre with good results.

Finally, I'm intrigued by the Audio Research CD-1. Anyone have any experience with using the remote volume capability?

I'm sure that each of these players is good in its' own right, but what I'd like to know is which one (or maybe another?) would do the best job of driving an amp directly?

BTW - I'm trying not to spend much more than about $1K used. $1,300 would be the absolute MAX.

Thanks everybody!
danheather

Showing 1 response by karls

I also use a Wadia direct into the amp, and very strongly recommend the brand, but most of them are out of your price range. (If you can find a used 830 for under $2k, it's definitely worth stretching your budget. While not as good as Wadia's big guns, it's still worlds better than what you have listed. If this is out of the question, 23's can be found for around your price.) There is no question that direct is much better than through a preamp if you have no other sources. The Theta is excellent but on the punchy side of neutral, the ARC is also excellent but on the soft side of neutral, and the Sony is in between but I will never buy a Sony because I've had absolutely miserable quality issues with every piece of Sony gear I've ever owned (quite a few, but I learn eventually...)