XA7ES, Miles, Cary 301, ARC CD-1?? Direct to amp..

Hi all!

I know that this topic has been BEATEN to death and I HAVE looked through the archives, but still have questions.

I need a CDP that'll connect directly to my amp. I've seen many recommendations for the Theta Miles...is it really that good?

The Sony XA-7ES seems like a hell of a piece for the money. It also seems that there are many people using it w/o a pre with good results.

Finally, I'm intrigued by the Audio Research CD-1. Anyone have any experience with using the remote volume capability?

I'm sure that each of these players is good in its' own right, but what I'd like to know is which one (or maybe another?) would do the best job of driving an amp directly?

BTW - I'm trying not to spend much more than about $1K used. $1,300 would be the absolute MAX.

Thanks everybody!
danheather

Showing 2 responses by danielk141

I own a Sony XA7ES. I think it is an excellent piece for the going rate ($900.00 to $1100.00 used currently). It does have an excellent variable out, but ONLY in single ended mode. The balanced outputs are fixed, you must use them with a pre-amp. I finally bought an Adcom GFP-750 pre amp so I could use my Rowland Model 2 amp with the Sony to its full potential-balanced.
I have a friend who had a "Balanced" Theta Miles. They do come single ended or balanced-you'll pay more for balanced... I tried the Theta, it didn't sound any better than my Sony & it comes with a real cheap (Pioneer) remote. Theta has kind of forgotten the Miles, I don't think they have ever offered an upgrade for it.
If I were you I'd buy a used Sony. If you don't like it or find something better, you probably won't lose a dime when you sell it.
What amp do you have? If it isn't a truly balanced amp you don't need a balanced output on your CD player..

Daniel
Dan,

The Sony has a motorized analog variable output. Think of it as a conventional passive pre amp with remote control.
It will allow you to lower the volume & take it up to the maximum output of the player. It does NOT have gain like an active pre amp. The Theta Miles is like this also, the Theta products have a reputation for higher than industry standard output. Depending on your speakers & room size, you probably won't need an active pre amp with the Sony or Theta Miles. If you're using small monitors in a large room, you'll might want an active pre amp to make the music more dynamic..

Daniel