Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
1. Don't invest in gimmicks like the Clever Little Clock.
2. Try to be satisfied with what you have. Invest in tweaks that will enhance your existing system!
3. Try not to be taken in by the hype both in magazines & Audiogon.
4. Don't buy on impulse, do some research prior to making a purchase unless you have a good idea what your buying is compatible in your system & are familiar with its sonics.
5. Remember why we are here to begin with, the love of music. Don't put the gear before the music.

Don't blame CDs for bad sound, and keep all indefinitely. You will be amazed at how good nearly all start to sound as your system evolves.
My five rules.

1. It's about the sound. Not the specs, the looks, the prestige, the fashion, the reviews or any of the quasi-religious debates that consume some people.

2. This is not a commodity, so find a good dealer and stick with him over the long haul. Use magazines and the Internet sparingly and as an adjunct. A good dealer is passionate about sound, and has rock-solid integrity. This kind of dealer sells sound, not boxes. He doesn't disparage anything in his store, and not a lot outside of his store. Whether you spend $2,000 or $100,000 your business and the relationship is important. If you find that dealer, then you must act with integrity in return. He is in a tough business and has almost certainly struggled to maintain his integrity in the face of enormous contrary pressure. (No, I am not a dealer. I am a happy customer.)

3. Make no snap decisions. Instead, look to the long term. If you find yourself swapping out gear in less than five years, you should ask yourself whether you're in this for the sound or for something else.

4. Enjoy what you have. You can't try everything, so resist "audio lust." Make improvements to your system over time in consultation with your dealer. But always remember: It's about the sound, not the boxes.

5. Pay attention to analog. I'm not telling you to worship at the altar of vinyl, but rather to seriously listen to it at some point on your journey. Then decide for yourself, using nothing other than your ears to guide you.
Oops, forgot a sixth rule.

6. The room is the single most important component in your system. This is truer and truer as your other components get better.
IMO the most important factor is the quality of the recording, then the speaker / room interaction.