Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
Do not set your Audio Beliefs in "stone" , think of them as "temporary" . There are many things I believed 3-5 years ago, that either technology, or just experience has taught me otherwise. I have seen too many friends defend their beliefs to the death and miss out on new experiences .Once you think you know it all you are locked up to any new ideas and concepts. Keep an open mind on everything. You might be surprised with the results !
TRY THESE 5 FISRT...
1.) OPEN A TD ACCOUNT BEFORE YOUR MONEY IS ALL GONE.
2.) SELL ALL YOUR STUFFS BEFORE YOUR WIFE DIVORCE YOU.
3.) RUN AWAY FROM THIS FORUM, DON'T EVEN GO ONLINE ANYMORE.
4.) TRY TO LISTEN TO NOISY MUSIC AND LEARN TO APPRECIATE IT.
5.) DON'T CHECK MAIL ANYMORE, LET YOUR WIFE DO IT.

IF YOU CAN'T DO THE ABOVE 5, TRY THE FOLLOWING 5...
1.) REMOVATION THE HOUSE BEFORE THE ROOM TREATMENTS DOMINATE IT
2.) GET RIB OF YOUR HEATER AS SOON AS YOU PURCHASE A TUBE OR CLASS A AMP
3.) BEFORE YOUR VISITORS ASK, REMIND THEM THAT THE CABLES ARE NOT WATER HOSES AND THE BIG AMP YOU HAVE IS NOT A MINI LAUNDRY MACHINE
4.) GET SOME EAR PLUGS IN CASE OF A COMPLAINT OR...
5.) BUY SOME TAPE TO SEAL YOUR WIFE'S MOUTH

Disclaimer: Above is just a joke. I am not responsible for anything whatsoever if you really go do it! Cheers =)
The last guy was great. But virgil's remarks "are out to lunch" I will tell u right now he isnt the guy who will sit down infront of his hi-fi and listen. He will turn on his hi-fi and maybe listen for awhile. Probably use it for company and recreational time. To use line conditioning and snake oil in the same sentence tells me he isnt listening to hi-fi at all. Just another, at home appliance. It makes a big difference and is well worth the time to hear if for yourself.
Since we are on audiogon, I'll stick to audio words of wisdom (IMHO).
1. Purchase the best used $1000-2000 SS midrange amplifier you can find >200wpc doubling into 4 ohms(ARAGON, PROCEED, B&K, ADCOM, even the top of the line ROTEL or ARCAM units are ok starter amps).
2. Purchase a $700-3000 preamplifier that you like with a phono stage if it is available. This is the biggest commitment and a big fork in the road. Make certain you can live with your decision if you choose tubes because it will color your eventual selection of speakers.
3. Audition a variety of speakers with similar components to those selected in #1 and #2 above over about a 6 month period of time. Borrow from friends or dealer if they will permit so you can live with them for a while. Purchase the speakers you love, rather than what you think you can afford. Use the VISA or beg borrow and hock other valueables to get what you like and will love over the long haul. This could be really expensive but it could also be not so expensive. It really depends on what you like. Thiel 22's can be purchased used for less than $1k.
4. Purchase a good Rotel or Arcam or NAD (or similar Japanese models) CD player which you will upgrade every five years or so as technology advances.
5. Purchase a $500-1000 turntable if you don't already own one with a good $300 medium output cartridge. Listen to older recordings and get some variety into your listening library.
This forms the basis for many years of listening pleasure and future component upgrades as time and money allow.
The music you listen to and you what sounds good to you is the foundation. The room (size,neighbors,spouse) are the next important. Buy the best speakers you can afford. Speakers are the hardest and most expensive thing to do right. Get a bigger amp than you need. Go solid state unless you have lots o $$.There is a difference in cd players, amps, tubes, etc., but everything above has to work first. Source is cheapest to get right (except turntables).