Wood v. Metal for stands. Is there a clear winner?

I'm pretty sure there is no clear cut answer. however I thought to inquire as to what most sound junkies dig best. Metal stands and racks, OR wooden products? Or a combination of the two?

My own needs revolve about a floor which is not on a solid foundation, a thin wallet, and the desire to not compromise things entirely by being cheap. so spending some in the right areas seems the right thing for me.

But items like the Isis, Pagote, Particular, and those of that 4 digit ilk are likely past me.

I'm torn between a couple wooden amp stands, in addition to the Solidsteel 5.2 or 6.2 (in pairs) to hold rotating junk on one, and preamp and DAC on the other... or is that idea overkill?

All experiences and thoughts are most welcome... and needed.

There simply must be a solidly senseible solution which doesn't bust the bank but sure holds it's own against heftier competition.

Thanks in advance.
blindjim

Showing 2 responses by dpac996

DAvid12
"Glass for racks sound good on first audition, but it is all colouration."

ROFLMAO

I have a rack where the amp sits on heavy composite wood, but the preamp, cdp, etc sit on frosted safety glass. I guess the glass adds second order distortion, and the frosting adds maybe a touch more creaminess to the sound... go figure.

I guess the glass on the tubes explains why they sound so good, at first, second, and extended listening sessions...
Essentialaudio
I'm familiar with noise induced by vibration as far as caps go it's a phenomenon pretty much only seen in ceramic caps (from piezo electric effects). Ceramics are rarely used in high end audio gear. I have actually seen the voltage disturbance first hand but we are talking on a time base WAY outside audio and this was only from a direct whack with a pencil... anyway...
All my components have iso type feet so i'm not too worried about any vibes from the rack. Seems very sturdy; besides the rack sits on hard wood floor directly on top of solid concrete. Even when the music is pumping i don't feel any vibes on any shelves. I like my frosting.