Wilson tiny tots

Hi,

I just purchased two used Wilson tiny tots.    I do not have an amp yet.   I would like to have two channels connected to the TV.     My music, these days is through YouTube and I would love to play movie sound through the two Wilson’s.   Can you connect an amp through optical or HDMI directly to the TV then out to the speakers?   what amp do you recommend

I’m looking to spend $2000 or less.   As you can see I’m an amateur don’t be afraid to give a lot of detail.  

thanks

craig 

craigdemling

Do you think about Peachtree nova150 direct from the Tv by optical then to the speakers by wire.    What brand of wire is the best ? 

Post removed 

Wilson’s usually require good amplification which is driving some of the comments. If your TV has an optical output then get an integrated that has a built in Dac so you can use that. You’ll just need to configure the TV output to down mix multi channel sources to two channel.

If you have to use HDMI then you are looking at an AVR. 

@hiendmmoe 100%

@craigdemling

Aren’t the Tots like $9k?? your gonna need some decent gear to level up with and justify their existence.

Sadly I’m so green I don’t know if you guys are joking or not.   My TV is a QLED 86 inch with all the major connections.   I was playing music through a sound bar.   The Wilsons were a deal I couldn’t pass up.    Can I go TV direct to amp to speakers?  If yes, what amp should I use. 

As I recall our OLED does not have anything but HDMI and some USBs for attaching storage disk.

if there are RCAs then you just need an amp, if it is HDMI then you need something else. Like @mrteeves suggests.
So that is step #1 … as @hiendmmoe mentioned.

Sadly I’m so green I don’t know if you guys are joking or not.

I am not joking.
But it does seem odd to consider a $70 amp.

We are running a Lyngdorf as the AVR/AVP, which likely falls outside of your budget requirement.
The $70 amp was tried for surround channels and it is pretty good.

I am not sure what an AVR or AVP costs, but after looking sound bars we went AVP—> amp —> speakers.

I would suggest looking for what connections are on the back of your OLED as step #1.
If no RCAs are present then integrated amps etc. are not going to do the job.
If there are RCAs then “you’re laughing”.

Aren’t the Tots like $9k?? your gonna need some decent gear to level up with and justify their existence

Some of the $9K cost is in the brand name.

I think that the speakers are 8 ohm nominal, dropping to 6-1/2 worst case, and 84/dB sensitivity. So they are going to need some power, and they are not know to play very low in frequency.

An AVR/AVP with a sub output is might give some “down the road” upgrade options.

It is likely going to take some work to figure out how to integrate them in/