Wilson Sophia

I have been looking at stepping up from my B&W 704s and heard the 802Ds, the Naut 802s and the Wilson Sophias. I was all set to spend the 4500 on a pair of used 802s but then I heard the Wilsons. All I can say is that the Wilsons absolutely spoke to me. My problem is that this is a huge investment for me and I think that I must be crazy to even be thinking about this purchase. Even more so, because I live in an apartment building and cannot "crank up" my system to massive volume levels.

My question is-am I going to be able to truly appreciate these speakers with my McIntosh MA 6500 integrated and my Lector CD player? There is not going to be any money in my budget to even consider other changes for a long time. Wilson's were set up with mid level Naim gear.

Are there any risks with buying the units off the floor if I can get a deal?

As always thanks for your input.

John
jhorton19

Sophias and Mcintosh.
I'd be happy with that.
The loudness button might come in handy.
My only response to your questions ... I loved my 804N and 803N speakers, but at low volume I was forever disappointed. Those speakers came to life when driven with some watts ... I don't mean knock-down-the-walls watts ... and at volume they were incredible. At low to lower volumes, as when I wanted to read without having the music compete, the B&W's simply didn't satisfy me, nor did they reveal how wonderful they were.

As someone else pointed out, the transition to big music from small music was incredible, as the B&W N's would create a bigger sound without breaking apart ... not in a "loud" way, though they would get "loud," but rather in a "bigger" way. Great music from smallish speakers.

So, I'd counter that being able to use "volume" is essential, especially if a particular speaker actually sounds amazing at higher volumes. Such speakers don't always satisfy at lower volumes.
I absolutely attest to Arkprof.
My W/P sound great in low to mid volume, but when the family is out, and I dial up my B&W sig 800, the W/P just has no match!! I advice is to know your listening habit, and buy what fits you.
No matter how great your speaker choice might be, if buying them burns up all your cash and puts you in a place where you can't buy anything else for a long time to come, then I think you should find another speaker that doesn't break the bank. There are a lot of great speakers out there that can be had for alot less than the Sophias that will still satisfy the soul and keep more in the pocket for other things.
Before you go ahead and spend over 10K on the Sophia, try listening to speakers for in line with your original price range that has excellent low level retrieval. I would recommend Merlins, Hyperion 938s, or VS VR4jrs. Both the Merlins and Hyperions are supreme for getting low level information. Merlins are slim and very attractive. The 938s larger/heavier but better bass extension and slam. I can only recommend the VR4jrs with DK VS1 integrated, as this combo is the best VR4jrs I've heard. I have heard the W/P in so many incarnations including it's latest, and the Hyperions have them beat to my ears. I don't know about the Sophias, but most think the W/P are better.