Will adding a preamp dramatically change my sound?

You can link to my system below, but basically it is a Cary CD player with internal analog volume control direct to a Spectron Musician II amplifier into Totem Forest Speakers, with quality cables and power cords. Honestly I don't feel anything is lacking, but still find myself getting curious about what effect a preamp would have. Anyone have any experience going from a CD direct to amplifier, and later adding a preamplifier? To what result?
jswarncke

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

It depends entirely on the output capabilities of your source, and the sensitivity of your amp(s). If the source has the drive to achieve the SPLs you enjoy with your amp/speaker combo, you'll be happy. I thoroughly enjoyed the transparency I experienced with only a Placette Passive Linestage, and with MOST sources had all the dynamics, sound stage, extension, etc recorded on the disc. BUT: With those that were recorded at lower levels(some of my favorites) there was inadequate signal. Now I'm using a TacT pre that gives me just enough gain to overcome the differences in my discs, is still very transparent, and gives me a bunch of flexibility with regards to time domain and room tuning. Then again- There are a lot of people that enjoy the various things that pre-amps add to(or take away from) the music. Some mistake grain for detail, microphonics for warmth, etc. Then it becomes a matter of personal tastes as to what is "right" for them.