Will a Chord Hugo 2 make a music streamer addition obsolete?

Gonna make an investment in a Chord Hugo 2, for Tidal streaming (directly into my MacBook Pro) and CD playback.

Is my query (essentially) correct?

I use Arcam monos/pre (nearing 15 years of usage) with B&W 804s floor standing speakers. With the $ saved, I plan to upgrade with a pair REL s/510s subs instead (but that’s a discussion for another day).

Cheers,

Charlie

128x128teh_chucksta

Showing 2 responses by jsalerno277

@teh_chucksta 

Stay with your original choice of the Hugo2 or if you can swing the extra $, the Hugo TT.  They are much better than the QuTest.  As others have informed you all of the Chords are not streaming DACs.  You will realize better sound with a streamer over a PC. You can do with the Chord 2Go or an Auralic or Aurender …. or one of the two latter’s streaming DACs.  If you go with a streamer look at connections.  I believe the Hugo does not have a USB in and some lower model Aurenders do not have a SPDIF out.  You will need a USB-SPDIF converter going that route.  Depending on your budget, a Hugo with a good streamer is approaching $7 preowned.   If you can swing another $3k you can get a preowned DCS Bartok streaming DAC without a headphone amp and not have to look back because of DCS’s upgrade policy and having one of the best DACs available.   The Bartok is in the league of preowned  Chord Dave for the same $ preowned but gives you streaming as a plus.   I am saving my pennies for the DCS but it’s a lot of pennies.  

@teh_chucksta 

Congrats on your purchase.  The Node is a nice sounding server with good ergonomics.  It will be much better than a PC upstream of your DAC.  It will remove radiated and  power supply noise audible as hash in the background, improve detail, and remove “digital glare” producing  a more organic sound. Enjoy your upgrade journey.