Wiggle kt170 base

Hello everyone,

The sound on my tube amp was pretty good with the kt170. But I made a mistake. I took out the 4 kt170s and put in kt120 to understand the differences more. Next day I put back the the kt170 each into their exact slot from before. 

There is hissing on the right speaker and a rare medium pop now. The very left kt170 has a very slightly loose base. Does this affect sound? I have no more intention of removing the kt170s if the loose base doesn't affect sound I'm fine to leave as is. 

Could you teach me more about this hissy sound? I didn't touch any of the pre-amp tubes and they are all mostly nos. The hiss is softer today than it was yesterday.

128x128samureyex

Showing 1 response by jetter

If the tube is loose in the socket, one way to address the problem is to re-tension the socked holes as mentioned above.

There is an easier way to address the problem I have used several times and was recommended by a distributer: using a very small pair of pliers, gently alternate bending every other tube pin in and the next pin out.  Less than a hair is all it takes.