Why the limit on warranty to subsequent purchasor?

I have been looking into picking up a used high end CD player but I am finding that warranties are not transferrable from the original owner? I don't understand this. Maybe on a $500 unit, but a $5000 unit with no transferrable warranty, it makes me want to run from that manufacturer.
sm121055

Showing 4 responses by danielk141

Most people believe this is done to discourage internet sales. I believe this will backfire. Who will but a multi-thousand dollar piece with no transferrable warranty? No matter how much you like the piece, some audiophiles are always changing gear for whatever reason. A transferrable warranty is a big selling point. It is much easier to sell just about anything that has a transferrable warranty...
If I bought a Krell KAV piece with a transferrable warranty, I'd consider the warranty to be an integral part of the purchase. Now that Krell (and others) have "retroactively" dropped their transferrable warranty, I do believe someone will eventually sue over this.
This hobby is like our little private world. This is our version of politics......

It's Miller Time!
O.K.

Let's suppose that some companies have dropped their transferrable warranty specifically to deter internet sales. The internet is here to stay. I own 4 Pass Aleph pieces. I bought two here on Audiogon from private parties, the other two I purchased from my local Pass dealer.
I know I can call Pass anytime with any questions I have.
The 2 pieces I bought used were no longer available new.
I also own a Rowland Model 2, I bought it used from a friend. I have called Rowland & gotten instant answers & a manual shipped to me free within 24 hours of my last call to them. And this was for another piece (battery power supply) I bought used from a private party.
This is what is called "Good P.R" This is what breeds brand loyalty. This is not about perpetual service. This is about honoring the original terms specifically stated in the warranty, and yes, sometimes going further..
I talked to Richard Vandersteen last time he was in Phoenix. He told me a couple of horror stories about people buying butcherd up speakers on the internet. It is a headache for him!
There are many items I'd buy here on Audiogon that I
won't even consider buying on e:Bay.....
Does a manufacturer owe me anything if I buy a used component of theirs from a private party? How about just treating me like a valued customer?
McIntosh was purchased by Clarion (the last I heard).
Crown was recently purchased by Harmon International.
Things do change and reputations built up over decades can evaporate when someone bigger purchases a well known company............