Why so many Flaky Buyers?

I have had multiple experiences of buyers who respond to ads for items I have for sale who do the following:

Say they want to "move on this sale", "I'm interested in buying it", and then never respond when I email them back, asking for confirmation of the deal.

I have had numerous 'buyers' who ask "Is is still available?" and then never email back.

Buyers who say in their initial email that they are very interested in the piece, then later say they are not sure what they want to do.

Buyers who insist on lowball offers on a piece advertised as firm, trying to shave hundreds of dollars off, and get free shipping as well.

I'm honest, straightforward, amiable & accommodating, so I see no reason for this.

I'm really sick of this, and wonder if this is a common experience others have.
kevziek
Sounding a little bitter there. These are facts of life and human nature. And as far as comparing with used car sales, whether you want to admit it or not, it is a lot like selling used cars or used anything, with both parties trying to get the best deal they can, and those are the dynamics at hand. And until the money has exchanged hands, the buyer or the seller will do what ever they want and do. And courtesy goes both ways, don't try to lay this all on the buyer. It is the unethical seller that caused most buyers to be wary. You've heard"good deal, buyer tells 10, bad deal tells 100"? It rings very true, no matter the business.
And on the subject of knowing what they want? Who has always known exactly what they wanted? Seems to me those of us that do the selling have an obligation to do some honest informing as well. And it does cost us a sale and it does change people's mind, but the truth will do that. I get a little fed up with those on theis site and 1 other I visit(rec.audio.markeplace) with those audiophiles among us that want to run off those that ask questions about the Pioneers, Fishers, Bose and what not. And yes, A lot of the questions seem pretty stupid to me too, but I also remember a guy that thought you had to put the microphones in front of the speakers to record to tape. Someone laughed at me and thought it was funny, but he showed me how to do it. We that know have the responsibility to teach.
I turn away sales, not often but often enough that I remember it. And its usually from a not knowing buyer. We as sellers do have an obligation if we are going to be any good at this to occasionally do that, because its the right thing to do. Salespeople, the good ones, close 3 out of 10 deals. That leaves you with the choice of offending the other 7, as I think you are doing here, or learning from them.
How about flaky sellers? I had one deal this last month where we went through a week of settling all the details and all he had to do was send a payment request to PayPal, and he decided he wasn't going to sell the item. This after it had been listed for a month and then relisted. Sigh...
This is a great Post from the past that could have been writen yesterday.

Most of the responces and insights are priceless.
Agree to everything the lowballers want, then tell them they were out bid by a dollar by someone locally. Then let them know you may have another of the same item to list next week.