Why Sellers Forget To Update Ads, Sold/ Pending

I don't get it!!!!!! It must be me.

How many times have you inquired on an item only to get the reply that it's sold. This happens all to often.
I'm not talking about the "just posted item" but the 2-3 week or longer listing.
If the ad was marked accordingly,we wouldn't waste our time inquireing on it.
When I post an item for sale.I make sure to update the ad to sold if paid or pending if conformation of sale is made.

I guess I shouldn't expect too much from others. But HEY, They expect it from me.

Sorry but I had to vent.

This is a great site,No, actually the BEST Audio site on the web, bar none.
Thanks for listening, Rick.
Ag insider logo xs@2xramond
Well I have to agree and disagree with some and others.

Yes, I hate it when I inquire on an item just to get a snide response, (if I'm lucky to even get one at all) - that I'm somehow wasting their time for being interested in what they're selling. Or, along the same lines, submitting an offer and not getting a response for a few days. All the while, you're left in limbo not knowing whether or not you should move on to the next deal.

But as far as marking your ads as "Sale Pending"... I'm not so bothered by it. I think at least it tells potential buyers that though the item may be spoken for, there's still a chance. I've been on both ends of this (as a seller and buyer).

I know that buyers can flake. As a buyer, if an ad is marked "sale pending", I'll take it as awaiting payment and that it's not a done deal. I'll be inclined to submit a back up offer just in case it falls through. But if it's marked 'sold'... I'm not going to bother the seller. I don't want to annoy, pester or unnecessarily clutter anyone's mailbox. And I'm sure others think the same way. Not only that, but it at least makes it appear as though the ad is being updated.

I don't think it tells the buyer you don't trust him. It simply just allows the seller to have continued, possible interest until the money is in the bank.
How does one go about eliminating an offer to sell when the item is sold? There is no record on My Page nor can I figure out how to edit the ad.

Thanks,

Damon
I guess I've been pretty lucky. if I 've inquired about an item that doesn't say "sold or sale pending", the seller has pleasantly emailed back saying that they"re just waiting on money from an accepted offer and they will let me know if the deal falls through. So far, all the sellers have kept their email promises. Also when sellers have multiple items, I've seen people update each item listed or like me (guilty) only put "sold" after every item is purchased. Sorry if it causes you consternation.
Interesting post, but a little history seems relevant. Some of you may remember the "good ole days" of AudioMart and more recently, the RAM usergroup. I used these earlier methods for years to buy and sell. IMO, using Audiogon, even with the occasional annoyance,is a VAST improvement.