Why not horns?

I've owned a lot of speakers over the years but I have never experienced anything like the midrange reproduction from my horns. With a frequency response of 300 Hz. up to 14 Khz. from a single distortionless driver, it seems like a no-brainer that everyone would want this performance. Why don't you use horns?
macrojack
hummm these Jesnen 1960's horns came witha  tiny  thin brass voice horn,, the driver iteslf is at least 2 lbs and has a nice huge alnico magnet,, sounded a  bit harsh, not too clean,,have to get with Ricahrd Gray see if he can make some adjustments. 
Let me  read through this thread,,see whats up in the world of horns past 10 years.

eldartford
4,262 posts
05-24-2010 8:11am
Herman... Sounding like trumpets is a quite precise description of what I find undesirable about horns. I think everyone will understand what I am saying, although they might disagree. As is often said on Audiogon, we couldn't care less about specs...it's how it sounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While reaseraching the heck for info on the pair of 
Jesen alnico 1960's Tri ETTE speaker horns
I came across this upload of a  readable link to a  1960's magazine ad for 
I think Electro Voice or Jessen, The tech went onto say about his speakers,, ** the buyer is not the least interested in specs, graphs, only in how it acutally voices music, this is what we should be concern about making a  speaker**  Paraphrasing.

Listening to a  rough quick set up on the Jensen mid?? ot tweet? horn. The motor is nice  has a  rather large alnico magnet. 
Simuliar to the Magnoxov horn I have,  which sounded  STUNNING and realistic So based on this I went ahead and  bought the Jensen, hoping it would fill in to 1600hz  up to the 9k Magnovox horn. 
But I think its a  tweeter horn and from my superifical testing, not as clean, real as the Magnovox = perhaps a bad buy. Not sure til Richard figures out what we can do, right cap value and maybe find a  new horn, as the horn that came with the motor is a  cheap, thin rounded brass , like a tiny trumpet. 
I think horns are best for high fq's,. once you get into mids, it starts to sound like you say
*Trumpety*

My guess is the Voxativ AC1A will  reproduce the midrange I'm looking for over the horns ability to match this performance. 

I'm going to hold off buying up more horns , as I need to put that cash away for the AC1A's. 
Now will I need the Magnoxov tweeter horn to help out the AC1A in the highs?? 
Can not say for sure, as we know *Full* Range really does nopt mean *complete range*
I'm not concern about bass, as the W18E001's dual/each cabinet handle that range.
So even if the AC1A are a tad weak in the bass, its no real issue. 
If the AC1A does what folks are saying it does, I think the new Vox technology has *trumped* the older technology of midrange horns. 

I'm guessing my *Frankenstein* ( as Adam over at madisound has taged it) will be a  mix of ]
Low sens bass W18E001, 2000 release 
High sens Vox for mids  2020 design 
High sens Magnovox tweeter horn from the 1960's. 

Its hard to beat any of these 3 drivers in what they do.
Its like I am taking the best from all 3 speaker designs, blending  all in one
 *The  Frankenstein*

Hello all as a newbie in this forum I spend my tyme reading not posting.
That being said I recently added another pair of horns JBL Synthesis 47s at first they were very harsh by harsh I mean mids and highs were overbearing. 
So I Tried a break in cd and wow way more in balanced. Also spent big on power conditioning and cords . So guess I'm saying no harder to integrate than other speakers it's the details that make it work!!

Also if your looking for a pair of horns that sound like a PA I've got a pair of cs99a's in the box I could never get quite right! 
Also if your looking for a pair of horns that sound like a PA I've got a pair of cs99a's in the box I could never get quite right!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most, at least I;'m guessing here, many of the new horns  have huge magnets, and my teck geek, warned me to avoid these new horn PA designs. 

~~~Just cranked up a  test cd, Schnittke Concerto Grosso 1/BIS.

The addition of Magnovox (thanks to Richard Gray's loaning). 
this 1963 horn tweeter with  a  small alnico magnet, really picks up details which any driver under say, 92db will voice only as a  background echo.
IMHO, a  horn tweeter will voice details and nuances  in a superior sensitivity making dome tweeters obsolete.
The only dome tweeter I know which will compete with a  nice horn tweeter is the Seas Exotic T35, rated 94db sens.