Why Isnt Techincs 1200 Considered Audiophile?

Technics is known for its rock solid build quality low wow flutter, low noise rock steady speed, great torque and powerful motor so why isnt it given the accolades as a musical turntable?
vinny55

Showing 1 response by stevecham

I think this IS the best place to ask that question, particularly because, in this context, it is the ideal example of what that overused and abused word means. So, I'm here to defend Technics DD tables. I have owned/own, "high end" VPI, Rega and Thorens tables and now have two SL1200IIs and the new SL1200GR. Do they compete sonically with the others listed above. Yes. Do they "sound better?" Maybe, maybe not. What I do like is their build quality and very low noise without those awful, wearable belts. And "cogging problems" are a myth perpetuated by jealous belt drive enthusiasts. Yes, my Aries 2 sounds great with a Lyra Delos, but it does not provide the drive and dynamics of the 1200s with a Nagaoka MP200, Grado Sonata, Ortofon Black, Stanton 881S or Pickering XSV 3000 or 4000. I know because I own all of these carts and run them through a Manley Steelhead preamp. The arms on these are fine and well engineered. They may not be SME IVs or Vs but they have excellent bearings and I find no untoward resonances from them.

DJs adopted these tables because they are so well built. They were not originally designed for DJing. The slider speed control is on there because, with a quartz controlled DD, you can do that! It was for musicians who didn't want to have to retune their instruments in order to play to recordings. Now that's innovation and convenience. From my point of view, it's sheer genius. So let's stop dragging 1200s down and what everyone knows is the most robust, bang for the buck TT on the planet, ever. Oh yeah, those drive systems are what are used to power the cutting lathes! Nuff said.
Steve