why is a 13" tonearm design really superior?

we just mounted the SAEC WE-8000 on my Nakamichi and I can´t really believe what kind of fantastic sound this tonearm is able to reproduce. Is it because this is a very special 13" design or because of the extraordinary headshell design? I think it is the only tonearm with such a long straight alu-pipe. Am i right? Also the lift design is unique, this lift stops at every level you like to use.
Why are todays tonearm developers not anymore going for a 13" or 14" design?
thuchan
Thuchan, there is another solution, namely a straight-line tracker. There are many issues with it also. I did see a pivoting straight-line tracker at CES, which used a second arm to keep the headshell and cartridge always tangential to the grooves. I don't remember that name, perhaps because the arm cost $15k.
Yep, I loved the entire table, and it sounded great. Too expensive, however.
I'll see in detail that Thales at the table of an audiophile friend in northern Germany in August.
From simply looking at the principle and technical problems incorporated (1st bearing being very close to the cartridge, more moveable parts than usual, increased horizontal moving mass etc.) I am really curious whether the technical execution and fascinating idea will give improved sound regarding 12" top-flight tonearms.
The advantage in tangential error is there, but you have to pay for it with several technical drawbacks.
We'll see.