Why is 2 Channel better than multi-channel?

I hear that the music fidelity of a multi-channel AV Receiver/Integrated amp can never match the sounds produced by a 2 channel system. Can someone clearly explain why this is so?

I'm planning to upgrade my HT system to try and achieve the best of both worlds, I currently have a 3 channel amp driving my SL, SR, C and a 2 channel amp driving my L and R.
I have a Denon 3801 acting as my pre. Is there any Pre/Proc out there that can merge both worlds with out breaking my bank? Looking for recommendations on what my next logical steps should be? Thanks in advance.
springowl

Showing 2 responses by bmw328iproject

As long as the mass market goes and buys HT-in-a-box setups audiophile recordings in MC will not be very accessible. Joe Best Buy likes to turn his head around when his cube shaped speakers play behind his head and say "Wow this sure sounds better than my old Techincs table!" For the very few who are able to afford good identical speakers all around and a room that has good acoustical treatments and size there will always be some great recordings available in SACD or DVD-A but those people don't buy enough to fuel a charge for high quality MC audio discs, especially when those that don't know better are still willing to spend and extra $5 over the cost of a regular CD to have a poorly-mixed MC recording. Give me VINYL! Acousticsounds.com can get virtually any album worth listening to and with a high quality turntable, a good amp, a good pre, and 2 good speakers you have the best sound you ever need. I don't want to be in the middle of the musicians, I want to sit in front of them and hear them play; unfortunately people like me are the minority so MC recordings that use the surrounds for ambiance are few and far between.
As an avid car audio competitor I have to disagree with your thoughts on multi-channel music in cars. Even if the technology is released at a reasonable price for the car, it is still necessary that a center speaker be installed (which is normally a pretty hard install job that is very expensive) so unless tons of cars start coming off of the line with DVD-A or SACD players and compatible speaker setups it won't really take on. Also consider that DTS and DD5.1 decoders have been in cars now for 3 years but most people who have them still don't have the center channel. Why mix this perfectly to suit the car customers especially when the average car has pretty bad acoustics compared to home? Even if 10 years from now SACD or DVD-A multichanel audio is standard in all cars will most people use it? Will people care that their car could play a DVD-A disc when it can also play cheaper regular CD's? With more and more people downloading music and DVD-A and SACD unburnable will people really spend $20 and up for something they can get in 2 channels for free? Will these car audio setups be good enough that people require the new MC discs to be mixed well? Will artists spend even more time in the studios to ensure that their music is mixed properly in 5.1 when mixing in 2 has been hard enough already? 5.1 and up will all survive for movies but music is just not necessary and most people don't care enough about the mixing of MC music for it to ever become a true audiophile format. It will always be dominated by the best buy crowds who think it's cool but who wouldn't know stereo imaging if it hit them in the head.