Why dual subwoofers ?

Just got a new processor ( EAD 8000 pro ) that has outputs for two ( stereo ? ) subwoofers. What advantage is there to going with two subs ? Does it really make a difference ?
128x128robedk

Showing 1 response by lej1447

Actually, I have couple questions. Since my AVR does not have two outputs for two subs, is it true that I can use a Y connector for dual subs? If such is the case, does any A'gon member know if the sound is as comparable as the AVR w/ two outputs for 2 subs? If we I want to go w/ 2 subs, should I get a new AVR w/ two outputs for dual subs, or should I save the money by purchasing a Y connector. I have the Yamaha RX-V1400, which has the microphone for automatic room calibration, and the AVR is used as a pre/pro. The amp is a 5-channel Marantz w/ 150wpc. HT setup is 5.1. AR speakers, Phantom 8.3 (X4) for main and surround speakers, and Phantom 252C (X1); 50-250w, 40Hz-20K; 89db sensitive. Current sub is Polk PSW350, a 150W powered amp. Thinking of getting a HSU VTF MK-2 as a second unit since the store is only few miles away from my house. I have been contemplating b/c room size is only 12'X13', and I need to cough out another $500+tax, and not sure if 2 subs would drive my neighors crazy, which is the opposite of what these posts have stated, i.e. 2 subs should be less boomy as sound and dynamic range or sound freqency should improve. There is a 30 day trial, but you all know what happen when I carry home that heavy sucker with many rave reviews. That is why I want to remain objective, not bias, and listen to your valuable advice. Thank you all for reading. Any input is greatly appreciated.