Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6

Showing 2 responses by limabean683

Wehamilton, thanks for the Miles Davis dedication. His "Kind of Blue" album is one of my favs!
The question should be Why Do WE Love Audio? It's clear that everyone here has a passion for music, and takes no shortcuts when it comes to musical reproduction. If we allow others to see this passion, and we take the time to educate others, our hobby will grow. To the untrained ear a $200 system sounds as good as a $2000 system. When I first walked into a HiFi retailer, it was very intimidating. All the different components, high prices, and a salesman trying to explain DAC's, transports, and pre-amps, etc.. It took some effort on my part to do my homework and to go and listen to find my own definition of perfect sound. In todays fast paced world, few have the time. I am 22 years old, and a submariner in the navy. By displaying my love for high quality sound at work, I was able to raise an interest with several of my shipmates. We now have a seven speaker NHT home theater on our mess decks. Which now our whole crew enjoys. Since I work in a very stressful environment, nothing relieves that stress better than sitting in front of my system and truely enjoying a CD. I love Audio and am always up for talking about it and helping others learn more about it. Long live the AUDIOPHILE!!!