Why Doesn't Contemporary Jazz Get Any Respect?

I am a huge fan of Peter White,Kirk Whalum,Dave Koz,Warren Hill,etc.I have never understood why this flavor of music gets no respect.Not only is it musically appealing,but in most cases its very well recorded.Any comparisons to old jazz(Miles Davis etc.) are ludicrous.Its like comparing apples and oranges.Can anyone shed some light on this?Any contemporary(smooth)Jazz out there?I would love to hear from you. Thanks John
krelldog
Bravo Onhwy61; It couldn't be said better, IMO. "Brother Ray" is certainly one of my long time favorites, but I also enjoy Shirly Horn, Diana Krall, Buddy Guy, Emmylou Harris.......... so much music, so little time. Cheers. Craig
Someone here mentioned that Smooth Jazz as elevator music. I agree. It's okay as background music, but it's nothing I'd rush out to buy. Smooth Jazz CD sales represent 2 % of the market in the U.S. I think that any correlation between smooth and classic jazz sales is dirctly proportional to education of the form and exposure. Most people that I've had over to the house have never been exposed to jazz from the 1950's or 1960's, except for what they hear in movie soundtracks. Once exposed, I've found many that have asked me who it was, what label, where to find a copy. At another post, someone had mentioned that Smooth Jazz is available at Columbia House and that Classic Jazz wasn't. I'd include most stores in that also. Possibly it's the lack of exposure.
ya Detlof those times are gone and they were short too! You mention Monk, Coltrane, Armstrong, Davis, Ellington, Bley, Hodges, Bechet and Parker. Where are the likes of those now? If you take Bley out of the list they were all born within a generation (Bechet is a bit early at 1897 and Coltrane and Davis bring an end to it in 1926). Like watching a flower bloom or some other miracle. But doesn't this happen all the time? One generation plows the field and several others spend their time weeding and seeding there until well... it's fallow.

That being said I admit I listen to some of the weeders with some real respect. After all .. not everyone can be an Einstein, Edison , or Freud...right.

Maybe we can use your comment as a new thread. Was it "mindless bickering" or "required reading"? (we've had both responses).

But lets all be careful,

"Once you ignorance is gone you can never get it back"
Carla Bley

Sincerely, I remain
Clueless, I'd go for "required reading". The post expresses straightforward opinion, on subject, and offers arguments in support. So, one can agree or disagree, and refute or uphold the arguments... or use different arguments and personal experience.

Further, one person's not choosing to like the musical preferences of another person does not mean the latter's personality, raison d'etre, existence, etc, is on the line!

I don't like smooth jazz -- what LITTLE I know of it. That doesn't mean I won't speak to someone that does, and does NOT listen to classical. Rather, why not share differing experience between us? Cheers!