Why do you think Bi-Wiring improves the sound ?

I now know of 3 people that have converted their speakers to be bi-wired but are not bi-amping .

What is your experience or opinion on why bi-wiring without bi-amping might or does sound better ?

I am concidering converting my speakers but I do not want to be fooled by the addition of increased AWG .
128x128vair68robert

Showing 3 responses by cd318

whipsaw,

Excellent post.

Yes, you'd like to think those unambiguously clear words of such a highly respected designer such as Alan would carry some weight with audiophiles.

Alas, not all of us can be so readily persuaded - amazingly enough not even all Harbeth customers!  Hence the tone of almost exasperation in Alan's voice.

We audiophiles do seem to be a suspicious, superstitious lot. Almost anything said by anyone regardless of their authority or experience, is regularly challenged and attacked by us. I should know, before I escaped this compulsion, I used to spend more time with tweaking than listening for many a year. Oh, how my fingers used to ache from the endless weekly routine of cleaning all the possible signal and electrical contacts me and my pipe cleaners could reach!

Nowadays I hardly bother at all, and guess what happended to the sound?  Nothing, nothing at all. 

Market forces and vested financial interests do also have a lot to answer for this confused state of affairs, but there's no denying the sheer persistent hardheaded arrogance of certain of us audiophiles.

As Alan says with a hint of sarcasm, 

"But what do I know about it? I only design the speakers ....... !"
Let's face no one knows why bi-wiring improves sound quality. Not one single credible explanation offered so far. 

Some consumers (and importantly also reviewers) seem to believe that it does, and prefer to buy loudspeakers which provide this option. Some manufacturers may therefore feel compelled to provide this option due entirely to these marketing pressures and little else.

On the other hand many believe it doesn't - including those manufacturers who on principle don't even feel it relevant enough to allow their users the opportunity to try it out.

Some might even be of the opinion that bi-wiring actually makes the sound worse.

Cable manufacturers and dealers on the other hand....
mirolab85,

"It all comes down to HOW WAS IT DESIGNED!!"

You must be one hell of a confident dude if you genuinely believe you can easily mod the 801s for better sound.

I used to be similarly ’confident’ but eventually, after only a mere 15/20 years of wasting time and money, the penny sunk.

To upgrade - buy a better product - but if funds are tight right now, wait. Throwing good money after bad never works.

Think about it, one man versus all the resources and all the know-how of the mighty Bowers & Wilkins.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb?gclid=CjwKCAjwqdn1BRBREiwAEbZcR_Ymb9I1eJVR0AIYEJPWexOqoTOk5aMCjn...