Why do we stop listening to new music as we get older?

Hello all,

Sometimes I find myself wondering why there is so little newer music in my library. Now, before you start in with rants about "New music is terrible!", I found this rather interesting article on the topic. (SFW)

With the maturing of streaming as a music delivery platform, and the ease of being able to surf new artists and music, it might be time to break my old listening habits and find some newer artists.

Happy listening. 

128x128musicfan2349

Showing 2 responses by frankmc195

When the year changed from 1979 to 1980 the music died for some reason or the other (maybe a time warp). Having said that, there are some good female Jazz singers that manage to slip through every now and then.

One other observation I would like to make is that when you get older your choice of music matures... You also begin to realize that some of the contemporary singers can't sing very well and albums are made that promotes singers who aren't really good and cover their voices with background singers or special effects. Music from the 50s to 79 seem to have artist who were brilliant in presenting what music should be. It does happen in modern music but is much more rare than from that time.

I don't know for sure but I would bet that most older audiophiles would tend to prefer jazz singers over other types of genres because of this maturing. It's mostly pure vocals with nice background music.... What do you think am I right or completely off base?