Why Do So Many Audiophiles Reject Blind Testing Of Audio Components?

Because it was scientifically proven to be useless more than 60 years ago.

A speech scientist by the name of Irwin Pollack have conducted an experiment in the early 1950s. In a blind ABX listening test, he asked people to distinguish minimal pairs of consonants (like “r” and “l”, or “t” and “p”).

He found out that listeners had no problem telling these consonants apart when they were played back immediately one after the other. But as he increased the pause between the playbacks, the listener’s ability to distinguish between them diminished. Once the time separating the sounds exceeded 10-15 milliseconds (approximately 1/100th of a second), people had a really hard time telling obviously different sounds apart. Their answers became statistically no better than a random guess.

If you are interested in the science of these things, here’s a nice summary:

Categorical and noncategorical modes of speech perception along the voicing continuum

Since then, the experiment was repeated many times (last major update in 2000, Reliability of a dichotic consonant-vowel pairs task using an ABX procedure.)

So reliably recognizing the difference between similar sounds in an ABX environment is impossible. 15ms playback gap, and the listener’s guess becomes no better than random. This happens because humans don't have any meaningful waveform memory. We cannot exactly recall the sound itself, and rely on various mental models for comparison. It takes time and effort to develop these models, thus making us really bad at playing "spot the sonic difference right now and here" game.

Also, please note that the experimenters were using the sounds of speech. Human ears have significantly better resolution and discrimination in the speech spectrum. If a comparison method is not working well with speech, it would not work at all with music.

So the “double blind testing” crowd is worshiping an ABX protocol that was scientifically proven more than 60 years ago to be completely unsuitable for telling similar sounds apart. And they insist all the other methods are “unscientific.”

The irony seems to be lost on them.

Why do so many audiophiles reject blind testing of audio components? - Quora
128x128artemus_5

Showing 6 responses by cd318

What are subjectivists most scared of?
Someone turning the lights off.
The mere thought of just relying upon their ears causes untold palpitations.
Graphs, charts, spinorama and other data are all equally taboo.
Thus the high priests of subjectivism have decreed from time immemorial (circa 1976?).

Blind listening tests are not the ultimate, definitive final answer to which products are better.

They're just the best and the most scientific means we have of comparing the sound signatures of different products.

It has been long established that the human mind is subject to a great number of biases and preconceptions when it comes to forming judgements.

Sometimes these biases and preconceptions can be helpful eg if you see a growling dog approach you with its fangs bared, you don't need to think very hard before taking evasive action etc.

Other times they may not be so useful, eg a 50k amp MUST be better than a 1k one.

Therefore since most of these biases are closely linked to sight, it makes good sense to break that link in the first instance when you are looking solely at sound quality, does it not?

Blind listening tests are not perfect, nor were they ever claimed as such.

However, in comparison to sighted listening tests, there is simply no comparison if you what you want is a judgement based primarily upon sound quality.

For me, even the simplest blind listening test is vastly superior to any sighted one. Most of the times I've done one, I've been surprised at the results.

@millercarbon,

"Also at this point I came to realize it makes little sense to go and listen.

Why?

Because components at a certain level, the very best ones aren’t really doing anything.

The perfect component does absolutely zero to make the sound good.

----

Therefore, if you find something really good and you go to listen it is only going to reveal all the other crap in the system.

This is why I never bothered to go listen to Moabs even though I could have. If they are as good as I expect then I will only hear whatever they are connected to.

----

That is why for going on 15 years now I have not listened to or auditioned one single thing I have added to my system.

Yet every single one of these additions has performed beyond expectations:

-------

Compare this to as many reviews and user comments as possible.

Along the way you get good enough reading reviews, sifting through comments, and understanding what all the various components do and how they contribute to the overall sound, that you don’t really even need to do this stuff any more."

Marvelous!

A fine example of self contained subjectivism, and not to mention self confessed expectancy bias, as you could ever hope to find.

Outside those select reviews you agree with there’s not a single external reference point anywhere!

Are you seriously recommending this ’method’ in preference to blind listening tests??

You do realise the enormous resources in time and money that you may end up in consuming in what may eventually account to little more than chasing your own tail?

You do?

Okay, then that’s fair enough.

@reubent

@unreceivedogma - the Don’t Worry Be Happy approach to fine listening

Ha! Do a search of AudiogoN for "Don’t Worry, Be Happy".You’ll see, it’s also been my philosophy for years. It’s simple, but liberating...

Yes, tweaking your system might also include tweaking your audio/psychological apparatus.

[Just exactly how this is successfully done is, I fear, not something that might be easily found on any psychiatrist couch or in any self-help book].

------------

The Role of Psychological Factors in the Evaluation of Audio Products By: Laurence A. Borden | July 2004

"Psychologists posit that evaluation is a comparison process in which consumers:

1) hold pre-consumption expectations,

2) observe product performance and compare the performance to their expectations,

3) form confirmation or disconfirmation perceptions (did the equipment perform as expected?), and then 4) form summary judgments.

Translating this into English, and relating it to audiophilia, this means that when listeners audition a piece of gear, they: compare the sound to what they expected, decide whether the gear fails to meet, meets, or exceeds those expectations, and then arrive at conclusions about the gear."

https://www.dagogo.com/the-role-of-psychological-factors-in-the-evaluation-of-audio-products/

@big_greg

"When you meet a new person can you look at them for a few seconds and determine how they compare to the last person you met, or does it take time for their true nature and character to reveal itself?

For me, it’s the same with audio components.

It takes time to get to know them."

Fair enough, if you believe there might be parallels between comparing a human being with an electronic device - I can't fathom certain human beings even after knowing them for decades but that's another story - but what about those who went around espousing "night and day" differences, yet dare not risk undertaking a blind listening test between a $10 DAC and one costing 100 times as much?

Let’s not forget that human perception evolved primarily to detect differences, which often meant danger. It’s something we’re very good at.

Therefore if it really does take several days/ weeks to identify a sonic difference, which might only be due to a subtle anomaly in frequency response, then just how important could it be anyway?

Furthermore, wouldn’t such delicate differences between frequency response will inevitably suit some material/systems and not others?

In fact you could argue that when the detection of extremely marginal differences (which may well be down to manufacturing tolerances) takes such a long period of time how can we be sure that it’s not our mood/attitude that is actually changing instead of any increase in our perception?

You can bet that the equipment on test will always be slitkre consistent than the human being doing the testing by ears alone.

It’s quite one thing to say I love product X, it’s better built, has better backup service, but entirely another to say it’s clearly sonically better than product Y.

Sonic differences are, I suspect, easily the most important factor when it comes to purchasing new equipment. Audiophiles change equipment in an attempt to upgrade their sound.

I can’t see any reason why us consumers would have a problem with blind listening tests when auditioning potential upgrades. Money and sonic satisfaction are very important to most of us, aren’t they?

So perhaps we should also ask that why is it primarily manufacturers, dealers and reviewers that have an issue with blind listening tests? Instead of embracing an additional way of evaluation, some them seem to be quite hostile.

Reviewers/shills/ad men/hacks/sales reps etc seem to be particularly cowardly/defensive/guarded/silent when it comes to reviewing blind.

In fact I know not of a single one that would risk their ’reputation’ in this way.

Not one.

Why is this?

Perhaps their fear of destroying their entire retail business model by revealing the emperor’s new clothes syndrome is real enough.

It should be easy enough to arrange for most, but can you imagine any dealer offering the facilities for prospective customers to listen blind?

Me neither.

@astolfor

"...his father almost gave him a spank and asked if I knew or I was being me curious so he told me that short memory key in finding the right lenses, because the short memory comparison is key"

Thanks for sharing that interesting post.

Short term memory comparison does seem to make a lot of sense whenever we have to rely upon our senses. Everytime I look at a picture or a scene and then close my eyes to visualise it, I’m always a little disappointed to find upon opening my eyes once more just how much detail and nuance had faded so fast.

As for autism, unfortunately it still seems to be a mysterious condition, even in 2022.

Best of luck to you.