Why do music DVD's sound so bad?

I have purchased a few music DVD's (videos and live performances not 5 channel). and thought I could watch and listen to music with my 2 channel set-up (really haven't got into the 5 channel thing). I lost interest early after being disappointed with the sound quality. I tried a few DVD players Sony DVP9000ES and had the same poor results? It might be the titles I have selected.
gold

Showing 1 response by ellery911

I actually like the music DVD's better than my cd's. Granted, my system is definitely not "high end" Bryston B60 B&W cdm1nt's Velodyne CT100 sub and an old Panasonic A110 dvd player for my only source. Recently, all I seem to look for are music DVD's as I think that the sound is noticeably better as do all my non audio inclined friends. I have many of the discs mentioned here including U2, NIN, James Taylor, Steely Dan 2 against nature, Madonna Videos 93-99, Beastie Boys Video Anthology, Led Zep, Grateful Dead (many), Smashing pumpkins, etc etc etc...in addition to all of the DVD's, I also have most of the cd's so I can actually AB the songs. I have been so happy with the sound of the DVD's that I wonder if this is a taste of what DVD audio or SACD is like.