WHY CABLES MATTER!

I have seen the argument over and over again on why cables matter and the that wire is just wire and how scientifically it’s impossible for them to make a difference. The thing that surprises me the most is that different materials are used. Different shielding is used. Different connectors are used. Different braiding methods of the cables are used. Materials are sourced from different manufacturers and put through different creative processes but I always get some guy who comes on and says. WIRE IS WIRE AND YOU ARE NOT HEARING WHAT YOU ARE HEARING? To me it’s pure arrogance to think you know more than everybody else to the point where you tell me what we are hearing through my ears and we are not smart enough to know when are minds are playing trick on us. But using all these different materials, process and shielding and creative processes don’t make a difference. I spent the last 15 years trying all the cables I could try.  Thoughts anyone?

calvinj

I tried OCC single crystal cables in my system. Simply stated, I didn't prefer the OCC single crystal in my system. 

I read about the perceived sound changes, and then I see stuff about how the cables are made, and how this and that might cause a difference. What I don’t see is anything that gives an in depth explanation with any real substance to it of just how the changes in cable construction effect the performance of the connected equipment, and how that relates to audible perception. Something interesting would be to show a phase shift or frequency response shift or change in noise and distortion that is known to be in the audible range. If none of those things are being changed, what else might be causing a change? If you aren’t doing a double blind test, then you absolutely cannot rule out listener bias, which can have a very powerful effect on audio perception in my experience. Our brain actively tries to interpret what it hears based on other things it knows about what’s being listened to. It works that way with smell too. My office manager told me she was mortified that someone came in to the office with horrible body odor. She was practically choking on each breath. She turned around to see who it was, and saw that it wasn’t body odor, but some fresh cooked food with a lot of onions in it. Suddenly it smelled just fine to her!

I should add to this that if you aren't doing blind testing, but you can show measurements showing response differences that are known to be in the audible range, then there's really no need to do blind testing. I've perceived differences in equipment and was able to verify those differences with measurements. There's no reason to go further with blind testing.

After using authentic OCC copper or silver cables, I will not buy or use anything else.  The clarity, dyamics, timing, all improved over ofc cables which have significant grain boundaries.  I would say for me the difference was night and day.  

I bought silver cables once and heard a night and day difference - until I blind tested myself. It absolutely blew my mind that the difference I perceived vanished  just by me not knowing which cable I was listening to. After that, it no longer mattered if I knew. I had broken the spell. 

I'm not saying that your silver cables aren't making a real difference. I'm just saying that a real night and day perceptual difference can happen because of sighted bias. Maybe it's better if you don't know...

What I want is a cable that minimizes inter-aural crosstalk. Polk Audio has a cable like that going between their speakers in their flagship SDA line. I'm someone who notices the center image frequency response dip caused at each ear by the interference from the speakers. People talk about coherency, but there's nothing coherent about 2 tweeters 8 feet apart trying to play the same sound. It starts to comb filter at each ear typically around 2k, and that's not where I want to hear a very strong and immediate phase interference cancellation. This dip is well within the audible range, yet few complain about it. They hear issues with different cables loud and clear, but that dip doesn't "phase" them. We all focus on different aspects of the sound. My ears are easy to satisfy when it comes to cables, but a little more difficult to satisfy when it comes to 2 channel stereo playback.