Why balanced outputs?

I'm considering upgrading my Magnum Dynalab FT 101A tuner to a Etude at a cost of $525. Additional options available are Kimber silver wire - $175, remote control - $475 and balanced outputs - $200. Understanding the advantage of the remote control and the Kimber silver wire, what advantage does the balance outputs offer? Any thoughts concerning the options mentioned above, will be much appreciated. ......Thanks ...... Catalogwiz
catalogwiz

Showing 1 response by kkirkpac099

Balanced mode is used when there is a lot of radio frequency interference in your area and when you are using very long (greater than 20 feet) interconects to an amplifier. Balanced components are almost exclusivley used by professionals working with sound. The magic, in "truly balanced" components comes from something called "common mode rejection". This technique compares the positive and negative audio signal and filters out anything that is common to both. Normally, anything added to the audio signal (i.e. electrical interference, hum, buzzing, etc.) will be filtered out resulting in a very quiet signal. I may be wrong in some of these details but this is basically it.