Who remembers the Dahlquist DQ-10's?

My first pair of "high-end" speakers.  Power hungry critters but what I would give for an updated pair.  I powered these with a Peavey CS-400 and a Maccomack Deluxe Line drive passive preamp!!  Those were the days!  Young and dumb I suppose?
128x128kenny928

Showing 1 response by 213runnin

When it comes to power hungry speakers, what is needed is an amp with high current capability for those ohm swings.   That Parasound has some good current, at 45 amps peak per channel.  It's at the low end of Parasound's line up, however.  Their A21 does 60 amps per channel, which is pretty good.  I owned this amp, and it really has great detail and control and  always sounds effortless.  It's worth a listen, anyway.

Something Emotiva doesn't do is publish the current output of their amps, they really should get with it.  Slew rate, current and output at 2 ohms are all important specs that Emotiva ignores for the XPA-1.  Oh wait, they state that the XPA-1 has a minimum 4 ohm load requirement.  For a mono block, that's embarrassing.  I'd stay away.  It also only goes down to 10 Hz, all of Parasound's Halo amps go down to 5 Hz within rated frequency response.