Who is excited about Capital Audiofest 2023?

I find I am largely ambivalent and not sure if I will go or not.  It’s a nice event and I go most every year but looks like mostly more of the same old same old.   Are these shows really keeping up with the times? Anything really groundbreaking there to see or hear?  I wonder.   Might go tomorrow.   We will see 

128x128mapman

Showing 4 responses by mdalton

Geez, can’t believe I forgot!  Since I’m a bit of a Triode Wire Labs fan-boy, I had to visit my friend Pete Grzybowski.  He was showing his cables with Living Voice speakers and Border Patrol amp and DAC.  This was one of my favorite rooms, showing what can be done for a reasonable price (vs. all the 6 and 7 figure systems - some of them really did sound amazing, but it would be criminal if they didn’t).

I spent over 6 hours there yesterday and am planning on returning tomorrow.  I was surprised by how many good sounding rooms there were this year.  Other speakers not already mentioned included the active ATC SCM50ASL ($22k), Borresen M1 ($100k!), and Heretic AD614 ($7.3k, and very relaxed sound).

I also got to hear Avantgardes for the first time.  Weird pairing for an efficient horn - dartzeel - and room was way too small, but if you sat in the chair against the wall, it gave you a much better idea of what the Duo GT ($74k) is capable of; I’d rather hear it with tubes though.  

Oh, and the Deja Vu room, with Vu’s Western Electric driven wooden horns, was very nice.  His room last year was disappointing, pretty awful in fact, so it was nice to see a return to form.

Oops!! I didn’t realize those speakers were over $40k; thought they were more like the Border Patrol stuff re price.  Regardless, very nice room!

Best of show (by far) for me was the Highwater Sound room, with the Cessaro Wagner II horns with TW-Akustic TT and electronics.  Had everything, but started with natural, warm tonality.  Thumb-plucked strings by Wes Montgomery in the room.  I also found that I had visceral, positive reactions to alot of the crossover—less speakers out there (e.g., Rethm, Songer, Fern & Roby, etc.).  I find myself moving inexorably to the “less is more” end of the spectrum.  Don’t get me wrong, the Magicos, Echelons, Borresens, etc. are so impressive, but they don’t connect me to the music the same way.  It’s like watching the Big Apple Circus vs Barnum & Bailey.  I guess I’m just a small-circus guy…