Which turntable? Pro-Ject or VPI?

Which would you choose in equal condition?

Pro-Ject "The Classic" (original version) with carbon fiber arm

OR

VPI HW19 Junior with RB300 arm

Thanks for your advice.

J

128x128durr3

Just Listed:

advanced VPI, read about it’s upgrades, allows changeable arm wands if you want in the future

higher cost than you are considering, however, IMO a much better choice if the money can be found. divided by several years, the extra money is not as much as it seems, the higher quality/features begin on the 1st day

note: has anti-skate feature, many don’t

higher cost than you are considering, however, IMO a much better choice if the money can be found. divided by several years, the extra money is not as much as it seems, the higher quality/features begin on the 1st day

Sure, that’s a fair point but OP’s original budget can be extrapolated to be ~ $800 max based on his 2 candidates being in used condition (Classic was only $1100 new). It’s a bit cheeky to suggest a $3000 (used) table - can probably subtract out some for the included cart, but still...

I think the HW-19 Jr. w/ Rega arm is a GREAT platform for that budget, if in good running condition. The HW-19 can look rather sharp in all black, too. My dealer had an original Project Classic, some years ago - I immediately disliked its build quality and "feel". Anything from VPI is better IMO.

VPI  the HW-19 can still be upgraded and repaired by a decent DIYer

built like a tank  if under $1000 seems like a fair price if in VG condition

mulveling

I didn't mean to be cheeky, and I often see others suggesting equipment wayyyy over budget, perhaps I have done so this time.

I was assuming ..... that OP had a budget for either of those new (including a Tonearm), so I was thinking, if used, this model, a lot more for some more $.

maybe the difference is too much.

I’ve had 2 Pro-jects and 1 VPI. If you want a livelier sound, get a VPI. The Pro-ject has a laid back sound. At any given price level, I’d get a VPI.