Which speaker is the master of IMAGING ????

My jaw has only dropped with one system. I was at the Home Entertainment Show in NYC last summer when I was floored. It was the Legend Audio 'The Legend' speakers powered by Legend Audio Nirvana 100 watt Tubed Monoblocks.

OH MY GOD! Till this day, I get chills just thinking about the experience. It was like there was an entire stage filled with people and instruments right in front of me. The best part was when I took my eyes off of this stage to look at the speakers,,,,,,,,,,,,YOU WOULD SWEAR THAT THEY WEREN'T EVEN ON. I have heard other speakers that have exceptional qualities in other areas but I haven't imaging like that since that day.

Any other great imaging speakers out there?
meech33

Showing 1 response by audiofanatic1923

From a professional POV,my opinion is that the Dunlavy designs are the most accurate designs,and many of the top mastering people prefer them.Bob Ludwig,Denny Purcell,Sony Mastering are some of those who use them.The Duntech speakers,designed 20 years ago,are still used by Ludwig for stereo mastering.If you want to hear detail,these are the real thing.Performance like ESLs,but full blown dynamics. The Duntech's used Dynaudio drivers,and the DAL,Dunlavy Audio Labs (no longer made,bankrupt in 2002) I think used modified VIFA or SEAS drivers.Depending on your dynamic requirements or listening tastes,I would also recommend Vandersteen,Thiels,or the relatively new Usher speakers.(if you don't need high SPL) All Dynaudios need lots of power to really perform. What do you want,accurate soundstage or something larger than life? This is a subjective topic,a brutally neutral,honest loudspeaker will disappoint most people,when they discover how lean/bright many recordings are and poor their room acoustics are! As Tom Holman says:"Film and music is an art,audio is a science" I like many of the ESLs,but they have dynamic limits and bass limitations,although they are more immune to room acoustics.Audio mastering is an obsession of mine,I work in film audio restoration.I still have my Spica SC-50s.They were a remarkable speaker,but were made 20 yrs ago.I prefer sealed loudspeakers,although half as efficent,their bass is tighter and deeper.Audio is a world of tradeoffs.