Which preamps use 6922/6DJ8 tubes?

I have some high end NOS 6922 tubes and am looking to change preamps. What do you recommend for a preamp, somewhere in the $2000-$4000 range (used is good too) that uses these tubes. My power amp is an Accuphase A47 class A power amp.

Thanks for your help.

ullogu1

Showing 3 responses by jjss49

Conrad-Johnson ET5: This preamp uses two 6922 tubes and has a minimalist design with a high-quality volume control. It has received many positive reviews for its musicality and detail.

having owned an et-5 for several years, i can attest it uses a single 6dj8 tube... each channel runs through one of its dual internal triodes

yes it uses only one tube -- but that tube needs to be balanced and quite strong as the heater voltage applied is 6.3v, so on the high limit of the tube’s use rating - so owners of these et5’s and successor et7 and et7-2 (which i currently have) are best off using 7dj8 equivalents... many owners have been (negatively) surprised that these linestages often experience noisy tubes after only 4-6-8 months of running a fine, expensive nos 6dj8 tube

ralph makes a fair point about the 6dj8 tube and it being somewhat prone to microphony (just ask past owners of the audible illusions preamps)... of course that aspect can be managed (with a cost of course) by effective design and choice of particular tube, if the linestage otherwise does what pleases its owner