Which phono stage for Garrard 401 with Shure V15 lll cartridge

Hi everyone

i am getting back into vinyl and bought a Garrard 401 / Shure V15 lll. I need to decide on a suitable phono stage. I have an opportunity to buy an AR PH3SE, a Pro-ject Phono Box RS or something up to a maximum budget of $1500. What would you recommend? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks!

the rest of my system consists of:

Threshold Stasis 3

Audio Research LS2

ProAc Studio 250s

Digital: PS Audio Perfectwave dac + transport

PS Audio power plant for everything

128x128marite_herrero

Showing 1 response by pindac

I am an owner of the Garrard 401 during a previous period of building a audio system, I no longer have the 401, which is strange as I do not sell much.

I have maintained my ownership of Idler Drive TT's through the Lenco GL 75 and the PTP Solid Nine.

Not too long past, I was listening to a 401 mounted into a Compressed Bamboo Plinth, used with a Origin Live Illustrious Tonearm and a Sumiko Pearwood.

When mounted on a particular type of support structure, from recollections, it was the best 401 I have heard without a speed control unit in use and there is a over the years, a few varying designs encountered for this model I have been present at when demo's have been given.  

I would be interested to hear the set up for the 401 and the Tonearm it is being used with, along with any thoughts you may have been pondering on a plan for the 401.