Which MM, MI, or Hi output...Nagaoka 300/500, Clearaudio Maestro, Soundsmith Carmen

Which one has the most organic and natural tonal qualities. I’m looking for something with a minimum of 2.0 mv to play in to a Naim XS and Harbeths. As much as I’m intrigued by the idea of going vintage, I’m now looking for a currently produced cartridge. I’d like to stay between $600-$1,500. While spending $1,500 should buy better performance, there are some dark horses like the Nag 300 and Sumiko Amethyst, both of which seem to have ardent fans. I’m an MC guy, and this is my first foray in to the world of higher output carts.

fjn04

Showing 4 responses by rauliruegas

Dear @dogberry : The Nagaoka is a very fine quality performer by any standards. The dover system is how that systems sounds and NO the Nagaoka is everything but dull or lifeless but the other way around and as you experienced very competitive even vs LOMC cartridges. Nothing wrong with the dover opinion it’s his opinion and at least in this thread no one is in agreement with him.

R.

@lewm  : This is the second time you made that mistake but your memory is some short.

Anyway, fine that again other audiophile than me confirm it.

R.

Dear @fjn04  : " do not portray it as being on the warmer side. "

Neither the live MUSIC. If you like warmer then you don't like real MUSIC to much but each one of us have our specific priorities. I'm not against what you like it and I respect it.

@mijostyn  , I think that you never " touched " de Nagaoka MP-500 that's my best advise for the OP . The issue is not about $$$$ but knowledge levels of each one of us in this subject.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.