Which MM Cartridge for under a grand

Hello. I am a new member to Audiogon and am seeking some adivce. I have a vintage system consisting of a Pioneer SX1980 receiver, Teac X2000 reel to reel, Klipsch Belle's and most recently added a Pioneer Series20 Model PLC-590 turntable. It is set up with the Pioneer PA1000 tonearm, with an aftermarket headshell by Orsonic. Ive installed an Audio Technica 440ML cartridge that I was previously using on my Empire 698. My listening style is varied but mostly classic rock from the 70's. Now I'm looking at new cartridge's and would like to be in the 5 to 7 hundred range. Given that you guys know just about everything with regard to turntable setup and I know just enough to get myself in troublecould someone please make some recommendations. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to becoming part of your community. Rick
35off
Hello 35off,
Pardon me for speaking of you in the third person, but I was trying to make a point. What I'm suggesting is not getting a 150MLX, rather using that stylus on your 440. They're interchangeable. The result might be greater than the sum of the parts. For the past 30 yrs or so, I listen to acoustic jazz almost exclusively, and the 440 with a 150 stylus is really good.

With a removable headshell it's relatively easy to swap cartridges if you have a shell for each cart. Once it's aligned and mounted, to swap carts all you need to do is rebalance. You might want a mono cart for those type records and maybe others with a different sound or presentation. You already have the 440, why not see what it can do and take it from there?
Regards,
It's not a moving magnet, but a moving iron is also a high output cartridge. In the new Stereophile Herb Reichert reviews the Soundsmith Carmen, which he likes a lot.
Greetings 35off, You have a great and somewhat rare turntable and arm combo that's in the top of the vintage direct drive class. I have had the same PLC590 table and PA 1000 carbon fiber arm in my system since 1980 and mine are still going strong. The only complaint I have is that the arms two set screws for the post make it nearly impossible to change VTA on the fly.
Both Flieb and Bdp24 above are giving advice that I would strongly agree with. If I were going to try an new MM type cart right now, I would give the Soundsmith Carmen very serious consideration. I heard its predecessor at an audio demo in Atlanta by Soundsmith a few years ago and was gob smacked at the level of clarity and detail. I have run a number of carts on my arm and table over the years, started with the Micro Acoustics 2002e, a Dynavector Ruby with step up amp, then the AT OC9, and recently the AT 150MLX mounted into a vintage Supex head shell. However, currently my best, most detailed sound is coming from an Ortofon OM10 cartridge body with a stylus and cantilever rebuilt with a line contact stylus by EXPERT STYLUS in the UK; that cart is mounted in a vintage Adcom "Skeleton" style head shell with Litz wire leads. My phono pre is a MS Phonomena II feeding into an Anthem D1 pre/pro, feeding a Cary Cinema 5 amp that's feeding a pair of Salk Sound V3 loudspeakers.
I also, have a JVC QL50 with Premier MMT arm in my upstairs system that is running an Ortofon 2m Bronze in a Jelco headshell that I really like. I have not yet tried it in my PLC590/PA 1000 setup, because I am so satisfied with the OM10 body with upgraded stylus retip.