Which is better for a DBA (Swarm); powered subs or unpowered?

I want to start building a swarm (starting with 2 subs), on a budget.  Starting with $1000, am I better off buying two used powered subs, three less expensive used powered subs, or a subwoofer amp (eg Dayton SA1000) and two (less expensive) used unpowered subs?  What is the advantage of having a discrete subwoofer amp?  Room size is 13'x22'. 
128x128cheeg

Showing 2 responses by enginedr1960

After reading this post I had to join in . I will describe my sub bass system as I have implemented it I don't know if it is right or wrong but sounds great in my room . The room is a L shaped room in a Manhattan apt. the room is mostly concreate construction .12 ft wide by 18 long opening into a 12 x 12 entrance foyer . The system  is on the long wall for living arrangements . I am using 6 subs at present time . My sub bass system is controlled by a DSPeaker Antimode 2.0 for crossover , volume & room correction function . I run my subs in stereo . The two main subs are on Isoacoustics sub stands . The main speakers sit in top of the subs also on the same type stands all my speakers and subs are sealed . The main subs are REL Q201e that I converted to passive now being powered by a Crown XLS2502 amp . I run the fronts at a slightly higher volume then the other active subs in the room . I have the option of low or high level inputs to the DSPeaker and preferer the high level it sounds more cohesive . I can adjust the total sub volume , crossover & slope with a remote control .I have not done any measuring I just use my ears as I feel I am the only one to satisfy . RC 
In my listening experience with my DBA system after adding the fifth sub it was like my room disappeared and only the music was left with at ambiance of the place it was recorded . I would call DBA active room treatment . Must be heard to understand its effect