Which CD side to touch the plastic sleeve?

I have a number of CD holders where one can carry a large number of CD's each in their own plastic sleeve, with a soft cottony insert material to press against one side of the CD, and soft vinyl plastic to press against the other side of the CD.
My question is whether the softer cottony material side is intended to press against the playing side of the CD?
The product illustration shows the playing side pressing against the soft vinyl plastic side of the sleeve, which seems wrong to me.
If I can learn how to use these holders then I can shed a lot of weight when traveling to audition components (without giving up rich desserts), by replacing my old portable transporter boxes which simply carry the complete CD jewel cases, just as they stack side by side on a bookshelf.
I realize what a high tech question this appears to be, but inquirying minds need to know.
listener57
Always use jewel cases for best protection against disc damage! Forget the convenience of those nasty plastic protectors!
I'm with everybody else...I ruined a bunch of cd's with those plastic sleeve holders and wouldn't ever consider using them again...jewel cases for me now.
You could replace the standard jewel cases with the thin ones sold for cd-r, to reduce the weight and bulk, and increase the capacity of your carrying case.
Listener57 - Another option is to purchase those ultra slim jewel cases and place the front insert in them along with the cd. They occupy 50% of the space of a normal jewel case and provide about the same amout of protection. I do this when I travel home and want to take my small case logic carry on case. I can travel with 30 cds easily.

I agree with other posters about those plastic sleeve holders. A friend of mine totally ruined a couple hundred cds using them even after I cautioned him about it. He lost some OOP cds and has never been able to replace several dozen of them. I also agree that if you have the means...only put cdRs in the car.
Great idea about those ultra slim jewel cases doubling the storage space for precious original CD's. Dealers just love it when you ask to hear a few favorite CD's, and then out will come that small case with a double dose of my "records to die for" selections.