Which Budget Friendly Floorstanders Next?

I just let go of my Monitor Audio Silver 6's and am in the market for something new.  I am aware that some of these might not fill the 6's shoes, but I really just want to try something new, something fresh, and something different.

Here are the options:

KEF Q700
Wharfedale 10.7 (Cheapest Option)
Focal Chorus 716
ELAC Uni-Fi U5 Slim

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
10000_hz_legend

Showing 11 responses by 10000_hz_legend

Sorry mofojo I left that out...

Currently have a Marantz 5009 > Pre-outs > Adcom 535ii (Sometimes Adcom 5300)

Also have a Teac 301 DAC that I use as a preamp with the Adcoms for those true stereo days.  Occasionally use an old Sony E2000ESD as a Preamp as well.  

Side note:  Picked up a 90's Pioneer Elite surround sound processor for $40 the other day that I plan on messing around with.
Sfall,

I Gotta keep it in the $1,500 range right now.   

I did listen to the PSB Imagine T the other day.  I can buy those at about $1,900.00, but they lack the bottem end that I am looking for and if I'm going to be pushing the budget I want to check off all of the boxes (Full range, similar size to the 6's, quality wood grain finish preferably in a red/brown)

Right now I am leaning toward the wharfedales because they are going for $650.00 a pair right now.  At that price I'll be happy if they are even in the same ballpark as the 6's.

I was also considering;

Vandersteen 1Ci (Previously owned)
B&W CM8 (Over budget)
Golden Ear Triton Seven
Revel F35
I have never heard of Teckton.  I know Revel is supposed to be very good and my local shop claims that the Revel F36 is "The best floorstanding speaker under $2,000.00".  I am weary though because I don't know that much about them.  
I've always liked the B&W 683.  But once you hear those drivers in a proper enclosure (The CM series) you can never go back.  

I agree with you on the Vandersteens.  I have a pair of 2Ci that are incredibly warm and have stunning low end (always lacked top end though).  I have used them to mix on for years.  And my very first pair of decent speakers were the 1Cs.  I bought them when I was 17 and unfortunately never had proper power for them, which always makes me want to go back to them.
Has anyone heard the Revel F35 or Fluance Signature?  Both very cheap, well made speakers.  Can't help but wonder...
Again, I don't know much about these Revels.  The guy who sells them by me was a real dick about them.  

I walked in and said I was looking to replace my Monitor Audio Silver 6's and was looking in the $2,000 and under range.  He brought me right over to the Revel F36s and said bluntly "Well..  These are the best speakers for under $2,000 that you can get.  Everyone that works here has a pair and they're great.".  He had the F36s and some other speakers hooked up to a Denon receiver.  He sat me down in front of them in some nice leather chairs and brought me an RCA to 1/8inch wire so I could play some of the tunes from my phone.  (Unfortunately I just happened to be in the area and was unprepared).  I listened to David Gilmours "The Blue" and then Iron & Wine "Caught in the briars".  They sounded full bodied top to bottom, but how could I tell with Mp3s playing on an iphone through a receiver...?

I mentioned that they sounded good but I couldn't get a good grasp on what they can really do because of the receiver and the iphone etc...  He responded by telling me that the Denon receiver was really nice and that it shouldn't be a problem.  So strange.  These guys sell some quality stuff too like Mcintosh, Music Hall, Totem, Martin Logan etc

Anyway..  They are the only dealer around and I had a bad experience, but upon further reading Revel does seem legit.
Lengthy Update:

So I bought a pair of Warefedale Diamond 10.7s shortly after creating this thread simply because they were so cheap ($650.00 for the pair) and for the money I couldn't resist trying them out for a bit. I even bought the matching center channel shortly after. They are now all on their way out.

They definitely do have the significant bump at 80-120hz that is often described in reviews. It actually did not bother me and gave them a nice warmth in the bottom end that reminded me of those old 15" Fishers from back in the day that my father had.

However... The silk dome tweeters and dome midrange never delivered for me. They are just dull. Sometimes I hear a bit of brightness lingering in the distance, but it never comes forward enough. They seem to carry a vale with them, like they constantly have a thick blanket draped over their tops and never get to show their true colors. I drove them with an Adcom 5300 and then an Adcom 535ii, both through my Teac Ud-301. I know the Teac DAC is a poor choice for a preamp, but I am very familiar with what this setup is capable of having used it on my Vandersteen 2cis & Monitor Audio Silver 6s many times over. With the MAs it was fast and crisp, and though it takes a lot to get the Vandersteens going the Teac/Adcom setup really sprung them to life, at least enough life for me given my budget equipment at hand.

The Diamond 10.7s are certainly not for me. Actually, I have found myself now struggling to find anything that I like about them. Even their appearance has gotten to me. I ended up throwing the grills on for good simply because I couldn't look at their faces any longer. I am ready to lose these and get back into something nicer. Something brighter. Something faster. Something crisp.

Reluctantly I have to share that I ordered a pair of Klipsch RP-150Ms to try out as well. I have been itching to hear the Klipsch sound, but knew I would just be auditioning them and that they would be returned after a few weeks, so instead of ordering the larger RP-260Fs that I really had my eyes on I went with the smaller 150M bookshelves that I could put neatly back into their boxes when finished without having to do any heavy lifting OR moving the Warefedales into our spare bedroom during the audition time. I don't know if auditioning the baby versions out of conveinvence was or is a good idea if you plan on getting larger floorstanders, but it did give me a good idea of what the Klipschs are capable of, and believe it or not I was quite impressed. They were extremely detailed and bright (Obviously?) and reached much lower than I anticipated. I imagined the larger floorstanders being a great speaker for me. Only downside I could see is that they CAN be fatiguing over time, and they were especially difficult to place right out of the box (Does this typically get better with break-in?). Finding a sweat spot was near impossible at first, but eventually I found something that worked for me. They are on their way back now.

Now that I got to hear the Klipschs I really want to try the following;

KEF Q750s
ELAC Uni-Fi Slim
Monitor Audio Silver 200s (New! Anyone Heard!?)

Whatever I end up with I will want to buy a matching center channel.  This is very important to me because I do watch a lot of tv and movies on my setup, but have a TC-7240 RCA switch I bought recently that feeds into my power amp so I can switch between my receiver and several different preamps. 
Erik_Squires - 

I still have the Warefedales, just plan on launching them soon.  I would try the caps.  I am fairly good at soldering.  What do they do?  

I'm assuming they are the crossover componant for the tweeters.  If so, they play a role in dropping the low frequencies out of the signal path.  So if I understand you correctly Warefedale installs capacitors that do the job, but affect the quality of the signal?  So putting better capacitors in would brighten them up?  Or just increase the volume of the tweeters? 

Please explain.
Thanks Erik,

I will definitely look into it, but ultimately I would like an overall change.  All of the above mentioned speakers have their own intrigue.  I wish, like most of you, that I could try them all.  The Revels, Tannoy, B&W, PSB, Monitor Audio, KEF...  Line them all up one by one in my own living room and hear them all shine.  Instead I have to filter out which will certainly not work for me, then audition whatever is left, if I even can. 
Also worth mentioning are the Tannoy XT6Fs.  Just read a review of the new Monitor Audio Silver 200s and the guy reviewing was dead set on buying a pair until he heard the Tannoys, which apparently were out of this world.  A few others posted in agreement that the Tannoys are very strong.
Update:

Bought an Emotiva BasX Series Amp that significantly brightened my Wharfedale Diamond 10.7s, but I am still looking for something new.

Possibly the Wharfedale Reva Series?