Which Beethoven's symphony do you like the best?

And Why?

I have asked this question to many. The answer is always inconclusive. So I think I will try this here. Thank you in advance for responding.

Also, it would be interesting to know which composition do you like the best?
nickalu790a
The March (2nd movement) of the Seventh
Fifth because it encompasses the the range of emotions from anger to joy.
The final movement of 9th, Ode to Joy. This piece of music draws parallels to the 4th Movement of Mozart's Jupiter, which is my very favorite symphony but this is about Beethoven, not Mozart. I can only imagine that Beethoven was inspired by Mozart's Jupiter when he wrote the Ode.
Tubegroover, Interesting comparison - when I hear The "ode" I think that he must have inspired Mahler to write his 2d, another great, dramatic, choral/orchestral ending.
The 9th is one of the 5 best symphonies ever written (and for some musicologists, the best of all), and since my point of view, one should not say that the 9th is overrated just because is not able to appreciate it.

Rcprince, be patient with this symphony as you were with Mahler's music, if you liked the 7th I'm almost sure you'll love the 9th after a while.

Eldartford, would it make sense to you if I said Mozart's last 5 symphonies are overrated? I guess you would laugh.
As the saying goes..."If I said that I was misquoted".

No, I am not a conductor..so what? I do know a little about music having, as an amateur, played violin in an orchestra.

Yes, I do enjoy Beethoven's symphonies, but given a choice between two concerts, Mozart or Beethoven 9, I would go to Mozart. They are not "bad": just overrated (and overplayed).

As an aside...I live a few miles from Tanglewood, the summer music festival in western Mass, and have attended many concerts these. One disturbing aspect of these concerts is the reaction of the audience to what is often a mediocre or perfunctory performance of something like a Beethoven symphony. (The musicians will tell you this. Remember, they are on summer vacation, and not really focused on their job). Wild applause. Standing ovation. Bravos. For some people the fact that it's Beethoven is all they care about. Makes you sick.

Everything said by everyone on this site is an opinion
I love all Beethoven symphonies and have 8-9 complete sets, my favorites are symphony 7,8 because I think these have the more interesting and enjoyable middle movements which make these two the best overall for me.

I think for performances I prefer the newest modern sets which were influenced by period instrument performances of late 1980's (ie Norrington, Hogwood, Gardiner), tempos are genrally faster and textures clarified:
Abbado/DG 2000
Zinman/Arte Nova
Mackerrras/EMI