Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw

Showing 3 responses by cd318

The Doors for their incredibly intelligent music - or alternatively the Velvet Underground for just being incredibly hip.

Ironically, their careers spanned almost exactly the same time period.
The key turning point for me was Buddy Holly.

He took the mix of Blues and Country and created something new. Paradoxically, he sowed the seeds for the ultimate demise of Rock and Roll by laying the ground for what was to follow ie, the Beatles etc.
The Doors are easily the best band from America for me, followed by the Velvets. 
Every album was different and brought something new.

50 years later the music remains timeless. Both bands seemed destined to self explode, but whilst they lasted that was the only predictable thing about them.