where to find blank disks for denon dcr-w1500

my name is Rip Van Winkle.I`ve been asleep for sometime, and finally awoke with this Denon dcr-w1500 recorder in my arms.would anyone know where I my purchase blank cd-r`s that are compatable with this obsolete player of which, by the way, had recieved great reviews.the manual points out specifically that cd-r`s&cd-rw`s for "digital audio" are to be used.so, I figure that cd-r`s for recording on pc`s would be incompatable for this recorder because of the faster recording drives being used now.let me also point out, the manual is vague as to what speeds it will record i.e.-normal speed and fast speed.
pmm

Showing 1 response by almarg

Clever opening line to your post! LOL.

A minor point first: I believe that should be CDR-W1500, not DCR-W1500.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the reason the unit won't work with cd-r's that are not designated as being for audio is NOT due to any speed issues. I believe the reason is that built into the cost of the audio-designated cd-r's is a royalty provision intended to compensate the recording industry for the monetary losses which they presume each copy results in. And to enforce that provision, cd recorders (as opposed to computers) are designed to work only with disks that indicate to the recorder that they have that designation.

My suspicion is therefore that current disks that may have higher speed ratings than those which existed when the machine was designed will work fine, as long as they are designated as being for music/audio.

Regards,
-- Al