When will rap music be less mainstream?

First time I heard MC Hammer’s song many years ago, I like the rhythm and thought it is quite unique. After that, all kinds of rap music pop up. I never thought rap music would be mainstream for such a long time in US. If you look at the music award ceremonies, you will find it being flooded with rap music. Sometimes I am not even sure rap can be considered as song because you don’t sing but speak. Now you start to hear rap music in some other languages like Chinese, Japanese and Korean that don’t sound good in rap format. It would be interesting to hear rap music in Italian.

Time will tell if a song is good or not. A song is good if somebody want to play it for their loved ones on the radio 20 years later. I can’t imagine someone will play a rap for their beloved one 20 years later. Just curious if any A’gon member keep any rap collection?

Besides rap, I also have a feeling that the music industry in general is getting cheesy now. American Idol show gets huge attention while lots of singers perform at the bar or hotel can easily sing better than the idols. The show also asked Barbara Streisand if she watched the show and who was her favorite idol. What do you expect her to answer? People said Justin Timberlake is very talented singer/songwriter. I know him because I saw lots of headshot of him on commercials and magazines, but can you name any popular/well known song from him?
yxlei
I hear you. Not to say that taking the music away will take the gangs away. Being a sociology major I know better than that. However, one must remember that music is cultural thus a part of ones environment. They do go hand in hand. Nonetheless, my statements are based on the attitude which one acquires when exposed to certain rap music. Btw...I'm not going to church...that was total sarcasm on my part as that is what many people do after all other attemps at something fail. Though I don't 'practice' religion...I think your views on sending your son to church are a bit paranoid but you parent the way you feel is safe for your children. There are so many threats in society today and some more probable than others. Exposure to negative gangster rap or is that gangsta' rap...is far more probable than your son or mine for that matter being violated by a church member.
The person who started this thread has initiated 21 of them and has only responded a total of 7 times.
Accept the bare fact that rap is just another ORIGINAL ART FORM contributed to america by African Americans. The myriad of forms concieved is staggering, close your ears to it out of ignorance, or because you'd rather stay where you're at.
Jazz, rock and roll, rap. They all share a common thread.
There's a big world out there. Don't pigeonhole a form that you haven't even explored. It makes you sound ignorant.
For the record, my music collection contains everthing but mainstream country, pop, and rap.
That leaves a LOT of room for those forms of music, I just don't like the production of the top forty crap.
The fact that the majority likes the stuff doesn't make them stupid, or me smart. In the end your simple opinion doesn't negate the fact that hip-hop and rap are still here, popular as Elvis, and old squares can't get with it.
Don't get me started on that kanye west character!!!
HXT1
Did I just speak without moving my lips......... ooops, sorry it was you.
I agree with everything you noted. An open-mind makes for a healthy life and mind.
Welcome to the club, small as it is on here, and as Bongofury noted "outnumbered but never outgunned."
Phat Tommy: where did all the haters go? I guess this posting is a w"rap". He he. :)