When someone tells you it's a $40,000 amp, does it sound better?

I've always been a little bit suspicious when gear costs more than $25,000 . At $25,000 all the components should be the finest, and allow room for designer Builder and the dealer to make some money.

I mean that seems fair, these boxes are not volume sellers no one's making a ton of money selling the stuff.

But if I'm listening to a $40,000 amplifier I imagine me Liking it a whole lot more just because it costs $40,000. How many people have actually experienced listening to a $40,000 amplifier.  It doesn't happen that often and usually when you do there's nothing else around to compare it to.  

I'm just saying expensive gear is absolutely ridiculous.  It's more of a head game I'm afraid. Some how if you have the money to spend, and a lot of people do, these individuals feel a lot better spending more money for something.  Now you own it, and while listening to it you will always be saying to yourself that thing cost $40,000 and somehow you'll enjoy it more.

jumia

Showing 1 response by teo_audio

These comparisons are difficult if it’s just about pricing. We also get into the technological weeds re innovation included (or not) in the given item.

After a certain point, the ganish on the given meal becomes pricey, or that components and build costs become big players in the overall costs involved.

If the builders/designers decide that the item deserves a higher cost due to innovation and there are differences in those innovations as compared to the so called norm. Bleeding edge has it’s costs. Then the issue of blowhard versions of said attempts and whether the buyer can discern that, or not.

Innovations can be difficult to weigh in context or out of it. Science might be the  arbiter but that depends upon all aspects being defined. The calculators/weighers/innovators/'those who apply' said science have to be as psychologically well balanced as much as the given recipients (end users) do. The problem being that science is not complete and likely never will be, the innovation is presumably new and..science is fallible because it made out of people, just like Soylent Green.

In the end, the price is the price and a person has to individually try the item out and decide whether it is worth the price. Porsche vs Lambos kinda comparisons.

Sometimes innovation can make for a better sound quality and is less expensive, and that’s how Class D entered the chat, at least in some people’s perceptions.

Those dang individuals and their opinions and projections. And the thread will go where it goes...