What Volume do you listen at?

When you sit and listen actively to your stereo, what volume do you like to set it at?

I am thinking about replacing my mediocre system with a new High Dollar System ($30K). My guess is that when you have High End gear, you naturally want to play the music at a higher volume. Is that true for you?

I have a RadioShack Analog Sound Level meter. It tells me that when I have music on in the background I set it at about 50 dB. When I set it at what seems right for serious listening, it is more often 75 or 80 dB.

One implication of this is where I will put my new listening room. I had intended to put it in our living room (pictured in the link above). However, if I will be always wanting to play so loud that my wife will complain, perhaps I should set up a room in our basement.
hdomke

Showing 1 response by dpac996

as loud as you can (without upsetting your significant other) but its a good thing if it sounds bigger and more open as you raise volume, as if you are increasing the window of the performance; otherwise it may be distortion or compression that makes it sound louder. Forget all that calibration business, just rock out and have a blast. You will know when to say when. Amen.