What Turntable to buy under $600 ?

I am just beginning the search for a quality used TT priced under $600. I have been looking at Sota-saphires, VPI, Dual. My experience in this area is poor; I have B&K ST-202 amp w/Pro 10MC pre-amp and Alon II speakers. I listen to jazz, blues, and some rock. I am looking for a TT that can provide quality sound that doesn't require finicky set-ups.
dvdgreco

Showing 5 responses by dvdgreco

Based on the majority, the Rega P3 is a top choice. What about the Sota's or VPI models under $600? If I get these set-up at a dealer do they require frequent adjustments?
Awesome responses thus far! My current TT is a Technics direct drive SL-205 with stock S-shaped tonearm and Audi technica AT 440ML cartridge with no set-up performed. Should I invest in a professional set-up or just bite the bullet and buy a used P3 or SOTA?
A lot of recommendations have been cast about. Seems as though vast technical differences exist between each model and set-up. I still ponder the question, do technical specification differences result in significant audible differences, especially with turntables? At this point, I wonder if I where to spend $100 or so to have my existing Techncis SL-205 DD turntable set-up properly that it would sound no different than any of the tables listed above (P3, SOTA, VPI)???????????